Want to order an LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slow Lame

Reaction score
This is my first post, Hi to all. I am thinking of ordering an LR4 as the dealers here (Atl) tend to carry units with extra options that I don't want and don't want to pay for. On top of that the dealer adds $700 for Lo-Jack which I don't want either.

I can special order and avoid the Lo-Jack as well as other undesired options so the choice becomes base or HSE model. The only options included in the HSE that I am interested in are the satnav (always useful) and the rear camera (which I would find handy when I tow - about 2x per year), I don't want the satellite radio, don't care about the ipod connect, the rear seat or the upgraded rims.

My question for the board is would there be any other regrets that I might have if I go base and don't know about based on the web site information. The HSE is $4250 extra - satnav on an American car is less than $1k so HSE looks like a pretty expensive option to me given the limited value I would ascribe to the other parts of the package.

Any thoughts welcomed that will help me make a more informed decision. The dealer wants a "substantial deposit" to order a spec that no-one else will want, LOL.

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Special ordering is always an option, IMO
The trouble is that if one orders a luxury SUV bare-bones, with few options, one will take a hit when it's time to sell/trade it.
Also, if a person changes his mind when it's finally built/delivered to the dealership, then the dealer will indeed get stuck with it. So, I can understand why they want a substantial deposit.
That said, I wouldn't pay for a lo-jack, rust-proofing, striping or any other garbage like that

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't the keyless entry/start come with the HSE package? That was a deal breaker for me. I've had that type of systems on other vehicles and wouldn't buy another car with out it.

The HSE has some really nice features, and I like all the goodies. Nicer leather, auto headlights that are HID, heated seats... For me, I wouldn't have purchased the base model as I really appreciate all the luxury touches.

Rob

Slow Lame

Reaction score
Good feedback

This is helpful - is the leather different with the HSE?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to clarify something about the HSE model. Crewcabrob, did you mean to say the HSE Lux model? The HSE model does NOT come with the keyless entry, that is only on the HSE Lux package. All LR4 models come with the keyless start. The HSE Lux package also comes with softer/gathered leather, xenon/HID lights, and heated seats. The only options for the HSE Lux are the Heavy Duty package, Vision Assist package, and the Rear Entertainment package. For the HSE, the heated seats come via the Climate Comfort package (also second row heated seats and steering wheel).

The HSE has leather seating, but it's a bit less soft than the HSE Lux. A lot people seem to be particular to it if they want it a bit more durable I think. Both are nice, but I can see how the HSE Lux package leather is a bit softer, it reminds me a LOT of Lexus leather where as the HSE leather is sort of Mercedes Benz-like in my eyes.

Let us know if you have any other questions. My advice would be to go with the HSE package at least, then it's not bare bones and has some useful features and better re-sale. Best of luck!

-David

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

It could be that I missed the mark. I have the HSE Lux and I sometimes forget where the HSE package stops and the Lux stuff starts.

Back to the OP; the only way to know if you really will miss an option is to see it function or to already know that it wont be used. Sat radio came with my truck, but it doesn't get used. The suround cameras are on my truck, but they hardly every get used.
Of course there are options I thought I would never use or were just gimicks. Auto hi-beams were one of the things I thought would be worthless; how hard is it to pull the stalk back and turn on/off the hi-beams. Yeah, I would really miss them if that option was gone.

My advice would be to spend some time with both a base and an HSE and decide what works for you.

Rob

gfcronus

Banned
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to clarify something about the HSE model. Crewcabrob, did you mean to say the HSE Lux model? The HSE model does NOT come with the keyless entry, that is only on the HSE Lux package. All LR4 models come with the keyless start. The HSE Lux package also comes with softer/gathered leather, xenon/HID lights, and heated seats. The only options for the HSE Lux are the Heavy Duty package, Vision Assist package, and the Rear Entertainment package. For the HSE, the heated seats come via the Climate Comfort package (also second row heated seats and steering wheel).

The HSE has leather seating, but it's a bit less soft than the HSE Lux. A lot people seem to be particular to it if they want it a bit more durable I think. Both are nice, but I can see how the HSE Lux package leather is a bit softer, it reminds me a LOT of Lexus leather where as the HSE leather is sort of Mercedes Benz-like in my eyes.

Let us know if you have any other questions. My advice would be to go with the HSE package at least, then it's not bare bones and has some useful features and better re-sale. Best of luck!

-David

Keyless entry versus passive keyless entry, which I think is what you are referring to. The HSE comes with the former (i.e., push the button on the key fob and the doors unlock...no need to insert a key into a key hole on the door). The HSE LUX comes with the latter (i.e., no need to remove the key fob from you pocket....simply get within 1 meter of the vehicle and pull the door handle and the doors unlock).

Slow Lame

Reaction score
Convinced that HSE is way to go

Thanks for the replies I will go for the HSE. We test drove yesterday, the mini-obstacle course was an unexpected treat!

I have posted another question in search of current pricing guidance.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whartonlax