Water pump replaced, still leaking coolant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, suprised the throttle body had a coolant hose going to it.
Front surface of throttle body clean. Rear surface greasy. It just handles air so you would expect it to be clean allround, right? Maybe leaking coolant was seeping into the throttle body via the mating surface where it joins to the inlet manifold and then getting sucked down the inlet ports and seeping under the inlet port seals?

Attachments

• 16279307179161175448340183320301.jpg
    16279307179161175448340183320301.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 16279307354337078375782422128898.jpg
    16279307354337078375782422128898.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 45

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What @jlglr4 said. Coolant at the intake is not good. Are you sure that didn't get on those mating surfaces some other way as you were taking things apart?

If that coolant was on the inside part of the seal the gasket makes there, it seems very unlikely that there was enough of an air leak there to pull it in without throwing codes, and for the coolant to have been sprayed there conveniently. If it was really there prior to pulling things apart, it was likely coming from elsewhere like the throttle body.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We see oil being pulled into the intakes from the PCV (at least on the supercharged cars), so I’m thinking a little oil film on the intake side of the butterfly valve is not so unusual. As long as your not seeing coolant residue, that’s probably not a leak.

That residue on the intake port is a mystery. Perhaps check your oil for any cloudy/milky appearance indicating much coolant getting past the cylinders. Otherwise, about all you can do right now is clean it up, replace the crossover and intake gaskets (and throttle body gasket - you’re supposed to anyway), and keep an eye on your coolant level.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Prior to taking the inlet manifold off there was no sign of coolant along its outside perimeter where the 5 bolts attach it on each side. I did spray gentle hose water in that area on both sides as there was lots of sand, mouse crap etc. Then washed area with soap before re-rinsing and letting it dry.

I lifted the inlet manifold cleanly off and the liquid on the inlet mating surfaces was defo orange. Not hose water. Also two middle inlet ports on RHS have same greasy staining as rear face of inner throttle body. Photos show stained one and one at back unstained. The staining looks orange-ish, but greasy black on finger. The inlet ports just suck air, right, as this is direct injection engine, so staining suggests coolant?

How would coolant leak from throttle body - would have to be internal crack? I think I recall seeing coolant splash sitting on top edge of throttle body where it meets inlet manifold. Maybe coolant leaking out, whereas I assumed leaking from elsewhere and pooling there.

Bottom line - if the hose that runs within the inlet manifold aint leaking (it aint), if I replace the front crossover pipe and the rear heater manifold pipe AND the throttle body, then all potential leak sources accountted for that might result in coolant within inlet manifold?

Attachments

• 20210802_153519.jpg
    20210802_153519.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 20210802_153659.jpg
    20210802_153659.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 43

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I started losing coolant I checked oil cap for mayonnaise re. Head gasket - no signs

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also - what is that ball of material under the knock sensor in your picture?
******* mice I think! Engine hood sound deadener "blanket" loose at one end. I patted it and a peanut shell came out???
I had assumed the inlet manifold had a perimeter gasket. Obvs just individual gaskets around each port and open at back end four mouse entry.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The staining on throttle body butterfly valve inner surface and in inlet ports is greasy and had a bit of an oily smell so maybe oil from PCV as you say. Replace PCV valve?
So maybe leave replacing throttle body for now. If leak continues after replacing other stuff can always revisit

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, mice, got it.

I’m not familiar with where/how the throttle body typically leaks, I just have read that they do leak from time to time and figured that would be about the only leak you might have that’s higher than the intake ports. I can’t figure any other way coolant would get there other than maybe spraying up from the oil cooler tube or front crossover - which seems like a real possibility.

So - I agree- if you replace the throttle body as well, I can’t think of any other potential leaks in that area.

As for the staining in the intakes, the intakes do get stained from the crankcase oil vapors passing through the PCV. Yours are worse than mine were, but your car is older with more miles. The oil staining can look a little orangish - more of a golden color to my eyes - around the edges of the staining. Still, the residue on the mating surfaces looks def orange as in coolant, so that might be the coolant residue you’re seeing inside the ports as well.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA