Weird vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was cruising down the interstate yesterday about 80mph and out of no where the whole car starts shaking. It was almost like I was driving over rumble strips except I was in the left middle lane of a 4 lane. I couldn't feel it in the wheel, but like all over. Pulled off to the shoulder and caught my breath; no codes, no noises, no flat tires, sat for about 30 seconds and pulled off without it happening again.

Any ideas from the group? Does that sound familiar as a symptom of something else? I'm stumped. 71k on the clock

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The worn control arm bushes did this for me.
Or you could have lost a weight on one of your wheels.

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about a balance problem, but it didn't reoccur once I started moving again. Took the interstate home later with no issues. I figured I was due for control arm bushes about now.

defiant

Reaction score
I had a similar occurrence with an F350 a year or two ago. I'd had some drying mud fall off the brakes (just left the bush and some boggy trails). The mud was just sticky enough too hold onto the wheel under centrifugal force and it acted like a wheel weight. I also stopped and investigated. I pulled out the mud from my wheel (just because I saw it). I couldn't find anything else wrong and set off again. It was gone. hmmmm, then putting it together I came to the conclusion it was the mud. I may have been wrong, but it all seemed to point to it, as the wobble never came back.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it wasn’t felt in the steering wheel, I’d be inclined to look rearward of the engine. No codes, so probably not the engine itself. Maybe torque converter. Maybe a CV joint in the rear, or rear diff. I don’t think the carrier bearing will cause that much vibration - not like rumble strip type vibration.

gternlund

Reaction score
Following this post. I have a 2013 Sport HSE and the exact same thing happened to me a few days ago. Merged onto the highway, got up to about 80 and it felt like I was driving on rumble strips. Pulled onto shoulder, sat for about 30 seconds and continued on my way. Got back up to 80 and no vibration. Hasn’t happened since. I also didn’t feel it in the steering wheel. It felt like the rumbling was coming from the rear, yet the entire car was aggressively shaking.

Billy Bignutz

Reaction score
I have had this exact event after LR serviced vehicle and adjusted rear handbrakes. Incorrect adjustment combined with mud washed into brake drum I suspect when they washed the vehicle resulted in brake applied on one wheel. Happened twice 200km apart and very scarey. Cleared after cooling down. Check of hand brake drums showed burning on one side but no real damage.

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Following this post. I have a 2013 Sport HSE and the exact same thing happened to me a few days ago. Merged onto the highway, got up to about 80 and it felt like I was driving on rumble strips. Pulled onto shoulder, sat for about 30 seconds and continued on my way. Got back up to 80 and no vibration. Hasn’t happened since. I also didn’t feel it in the steering wheel. It felt like the rumbling was coming from the rear, yet the entire car was aggressively shaking.
Yep, just like this.

I rarely use the parking brake, so I'm not sure if that would be an issue out of the blue. I also checked the temp of the brakes with my hand to check for a sticking caliper or the like; wheels weren't even warm and no heat or smell coming from any corner.

Any wheel bearing issue I've had has come with some noise, but nothing that I could hear in this case. @ricau67, interested to hear your experience based on the suggestion.

I also thought about a carrier bearing issue, but 70k seems really early for that; last one I replaced was way north of 100k. It did feel like out of balance drive shaft or something similar in the way the whole vehicle shook. The symptoms also weren't speed sensitive at the time of incident as it did it the whole deceleration time until I stopped completely. Never started back at any speed.

Billy Bignutz

Reaction score
Had you washed the vehicle recently or driven through puddles or mud as that is all it takès to cause handbrake this noise when dirt washes into handbrake drum.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72