Wet and cold in Defender

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T

Toomas

I am planning to purchase a new Defender 110 Safari Wagon, which will be my first 4x4. After browsing reviews and forum posts, I have some concerns:

1. "If it's not leaking, it's not raining". How bad it REALLY is? Is there any way to make this vehicle more waterproof? A leaky "expedition vehicle" would be a nightmare in climate conditions like, say, on Kuril Islands, where a heavy rain can last for days while the air temperature is about +10C.

2. Can anyone share experience using this car when it's getting cold, like
-20C -30C? How good is heating/insulation? Are there special modifications available for use in polar conditions?

3. How does it feel to drive long distances, say, 600km without a single stop at 90 km/h by poorly paved highway compared to a big sedan (like Mercedes W126)?

Thanks in advance.

S

Simply

Yes Defenders do leak :frown: . I cant speak for TD5 (as i dont own one ) but my 110 does let the water very little in normal rain. Most of the water comes in when i jet wash it then wheni get back in there are puddles on the floor. Never really thought about making it any more water tight we dont really get that mush very heavy rain over here.

Never driven my 110 in cold conditions like -10 so i cant help there i'm afraid

There is some difference in driving long distance. I drive mostly the series III so getting back in the defender to go somewhere is almost luxury. A new 110 will have all the creature comforts i would have thought more like a car and less like some of the older models. I regularly drive a 650mile round trip in a weekend up to wales, the journey is comfortable enough.

Points to think about they arent the most comfortable vehicles to sleep in due to the more upright position of the seats unlike a car.

Wind compared to a car a 110 is quite a high sided vehicle and the wind will buffet you quite a bit especially if its open road. You also have the areodynamics of a small house so if you drive into the wind the whole time it feels like an uphill battle.

Basically they're not a car, they are great to drive and i dont think i will ever go back to driving an ordinary car.. You either love them or hate them. :smile:

C

clarkcr

yep, water pours in on my 94 D90. My feet are always greeted by a large puddle of water. When I tap my feet to the music, it makes a **splash splash** sound. My family all think I'm crazy because I tolerate it. Good thing it's made of aluminum!!!

C

Z

zarnd

had a lot of water leaks on my 00 Td5 Defender. Main culprits seem to be the sunroof seals, the door seals, and also the seals around the front flaps which will cause water to run down the bulkhead and onto the floor pan thus making your feet wet!

in general, if these are replaced then they are pretty good.

Defenders are like Marmite, you either love them or you hate them

cheers and good luck though

Alex

N

NicDef

On my 2004 Defender 110 i did not get any leaks because the door seals are much biggers than the previous ones, try changing that!!!!!!!!

D

defenderman

My 97 110 defender leaks in water from the seals above the doors and runs down behind the dash etc..making the floor wet.
As for the heat in the cold. I live in Southern Sweden and even here it gets down to - 35 on occassion, I have put in a small heater on a timer that heats the inside landy for 15 minutes before I get in it ( only cost about £10 ) It makes a big difference. Then as long as I have both the temp and "direction" slides for the heater pushed all the way down to the bottom, it heats quite quickly and reaches quite a nice temperature. ( could even take off my jacket) ;) Having said all this , it is certainly not the best heater Ive ever experienced.

L

LandRoverDirectService

I have a Defender 110 in Northern Scotland. The seals do shrink in the cold resulting in larger gaps allowing more water to enter. The heater problems sound uncommon, and I have never suffered a problem with my heater. I would try fitting larger seals around all the windscreen (sunroof if you have one) windows, doors etc. If it is still leaking I would take it to Land Rover to see if they have a mod that they can perform. I fitted new seals and mine is actually now waterproof!

C

cletus1875

I only purchased my 1996 defender back in June 06. After a rain shower i noticed the footwell on the drivers side was wet.
I don`t know what it`s going to be like in winter! :0(

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM