What causes the rear tires to look tilted?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I parked next to an LR3 and noticed both of it's rear tires were badly tilted-in at the top and tilted out at the bottom. Then I noticed my right rear tire is starting to have the same problem. I'm guessing that worn out rear lower control arms are to blame. Am I correct?

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could just be alignment. The rear alignment/components are a little more involved (need to press in wheel bearing and hub, bushings at the top and bottom of knuckle instead of ball joints....)

There is also a camber bolt on the upper control arm; unlike the front uppers.

I would start with an alignment before replacing parts.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Michael. If it is the rear control arm & bushings, each side is only $144 from Atlantic British and that includes the hardware kit. The alignment needed after replacing the control arms will probably cost more.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You make a good point. I'm a "while-you're-at-it" kinda person and would end up replacing everything.

"Well, the knuckle is off. I may as well replace the upper and lower bushings."

"Well, if I have to get the bushings pressed in anyway, I may as well have new wheel bearings and hubs pressed in."

I know... I have a problem.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL...right with you...somehow new front brakes turned into new front hubs and a new steering rack.

dc_v01

Reaction score
Have you checked your ride height?

Tops tilted in is negative camber. Not always adjustable that much, usually it's an eccentric bolt, but I would think that wear would move it even less, unless you have some really extreme slop. Haven't looked to see how it's done on an LR. But on most vehicles, lowering will cause negative camber, raising positive. I would think with the large range of travel on the LR suspension this effect would be minimized, but something to consider. Cutting coils to lower compact cars is one reason why their tires are tilted in at top.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out any really tired LR3 you see parked. Typically lots of negative camber on both rear wheels.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM