What oil are you using?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackdogTX

Reaction score
My 2013 has developed a taste for blood...Castrol Edge Professional OE 5w20 ("Gucci") blood, that is...every 5K miles.

I use that also and change it about every 5k miles. It is freaking expensive stuff. I still wonder what the difference is between the Castrol Edge OE 5W20 Professional, from Atlantic British, and the Castrol Edge OE 5W20 from WalMart, other than the significant price difference?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The more expensive Castrol has stuff in it that better equips it for the stupid-long oil change intervals that Land Rover recommended as a marketing ploy.

If you are changing every 5k miles, it probably doesn't matter. I'm using expensive Motul oil and change every 6k miles or so. Probably overkill for me, as well.

But the extra $50 or so for oil doesn't affect me much, and it makes me sleep better at night knowing I'm doing what I can.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was using the castrol edge professional 0w-20 while under warranty, and was going to do it again - but my local dealer stopped selling it. In fact, they stopped selling any oil to consumers. Parts guy told me they only have drums of oil for the service center - both Castrol and Total. Not sure if that a sign of things to come, or if it’s just this particular dealer.

Anyway, put the Liqui-Moly Special Tec LR this time. I’ll probably eventually move to something cheaper.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use that also and change it about every 5k miles. It is freaking expensive stuff. I still wonder what the difference is between the Castrol Edge OE 5W20 Professional, from Atlantic British, and the Castrol Edge OE 5W20 from WalMart, other than the significant price difference?

There's an old saying in sales: "The confused mind says 'no'". That's pretty much where I am with regard to oil selection for my 2013 V8. I've sifted through the reams of forum posts and listened to respected members commenting. I've seen LR switch from 5W20 to 0W20. I don't know *** to believe so I curl into a fetal position and keep buying the OG/OE oil. Like @ryanjl, I sleep like a baby at night...only in this case that doesn't mean I get up every 2 hours and cry.

I'm sure I'd be fine with just about any other high quality synthetic given my frequent change intervals. But this is the path I've chosen. I don't have many expensive vices (granted that's a relative statement when my two main vices are a Land Rover and a boat), so I suck it up and go about my merry way.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what the mystery is here. Buy the oil you think is best. Then run it to your comfort interval. Then send the oil in the black stone labs and see if you can run it longer. Repeat at longer intervals until you start to see degradation in the results. Black stone suggests interval increases based on TBN and other factors and your usage pattern. Otherwise look at other people’s lab results and use that data. Other than that it’s a lot of speculation and emotional brand baggage. Amsoil is built for 25k mile intervals. I tested at 15k (posted the replays) and there was plenty more life left. I should be at 18kish this next years change. I will test again and post the results. I drive a lot of city around LA. I have a tuned supercharged engine pushing 450hp. If the lab says it’s good, it’s good.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what the mystery is here. Buy the oil you think is best. Then run it to your comfort interval. Then send the oil in the black stone labs and see if you can run it longer. Repeat at longer intervals until you start to see degradation in the results. Black stone suggests interval increases based on TBN and other factors and your usage pattern. Otherwise look at other people’s lab results and use that data. Other than that it’s a lot of speculation and emotional brand baggage. Amsoil is built for 25k mile intervals. I tested at 15k (posted the replays) and there was plenty more life left. I should be at 18kish this next years change. I will test again and post the results. I drive a lot of city around LA. I have a tuned supercharged engine pushing 450hp. If the lab says it’s good, it’s good.

You are applying logic and reason to my attempt at humor. Mind you, it's excellent logic and reason and I follow most of it except for the lab testing.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are applying logic and reason to my attempt at humor. Mind you, it's excellent logic and reason and I follow most of it except for the lab testing.
Yeah not directed at you. There’s a lot of back and forth wasted on this issue in the world generally. I view oil changes as a waste of time. And since time is money a waste of money too. If you make real money (as I would imagine most Land Rover owners do) think about 3 oil changes a year at two hours a pop total time wasted. Now how much money is that vs one oil change a year? Magnitudes more than any oil price differential. So the rational thing to do is stretch it as far as practical without doing any harm to the engine. Which means practically buy the absolute best oil. Don’t consider the price. Consider only how many miles it gets you in a given year.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two hours to change oil? This is the easiest vehicle ever to change oil on. Sucking down a beer it took me about 15 minutes total and most of that was waiting on the mityvac to do it's thing.

The LR4 is not seeing many miles these days so at the yearly date I was only at 7000kms but did it anyways. Mobil EP 5W-20 and Mann filter. Not a lab analysis but oil came out opaque and I trust DI engines about as far as I can throw them especially with all the short cold trips this poor little rig is subjected to.

BlackdogTX

Reaction score

Respectfully, and again to clarify, for me it is not a question of interval between changes, the weight of the oil, or time wasted to do it (IMHO, it's cheap insurance to change oil and filters frequently, no matter how much you make, and you should desire to keep a quality item pristine as long as possible). I personally just want to know if there is some magical difference between plain old Castrol Edge OE and the extremely pricey Castrol Edge OE "Professional"
Thanks,

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72