What oil are you using?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a lab analysis but oil came out opaque

I've mentioned this before but even at 5K OCI, my oil pumps out as dark as Hershey's chocolate syrup. Passes the sniff test as not being burnt but that's as scientific as I've gotten so far. This is my experience in both LR4s with AJ133 engines. Same thing whether or not I've recently used any additives.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Respectfully, and again to clarify, for me it is not a question of interval between changes, the weight of the oil, or time wasted to do it (IMHO, it's cheap insurance to change oil and filters frequently, no matter how much you make, and you should desire to keep a quality item pristine as long as possible). I personally just want to know if there is some magical difference between plain old Castrol Edge OE and the extremely pricey Castrol Edge OE "Professional"
Thanks,
I would bet it’s mostly just the additive pack. Probably higher buffer. The TBN breaks down in cheaper oils faster.
The skeptic conspiracy theorist in me sees it as a kickback arrangement between the MFG and the Oil Company to drive service business. But I see the **** materials in the crossovers as a similar engineering ploy so go figure.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two hours to change oil? This is the easiest vehicle ever to change oil on. Sucking down a beer it took me about 15 minutes total and most of that was waiting on the mityvac to do it's thing.

The LR4 is not seeing many miles these days so at the yearly date I was only at 7000kms but did it anyways. Mobil EP 5W-20 and Mann filter. Not a lab analysis but oil came out opaque and I trust DI engines about as far as I can throw them especially with all the short cold trips this poor little rig is subjected to.
Yeah for me I take it to my Indy for everything. I have done it in the past when I lived in Colorado far from a decent Indy, but no longer. I drive to the shop, he drives me home, then comes back in an hour or so to pick me up. Total time before getting my car back is about two hours. I bet you would be more doing it at a dealer. Door to door.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two hours to change oil? This is the easiest vehicle ever to change oil on. Sucking down a beer it took me about 15 minutes total and most of that was waiting on the mityvac to do it's thing.

If I’m sucking down beers while changing the oil, it takes me most of the afternoon, and might need to be finished the next day. But that goes for a lot of things in my garage (where the beer is stored, incidentally).

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
G
Yeah for me I take it to my Indy for everything. I have done it in the past when I lived in Colorado far from a decent Indy, but no longer. I drive to the shop, he drives me home, then comes back in an hour or so to pick me up. Total time before getting my car back is about two hours. I bet you would be more doing it at a dealer. Door to door.

OK that makes sense. With a mityvac changing the oil is no tougher than pumping up a bike tire.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
or you could concoct your own version of this:
. or just watch a few of these... and decide what you like.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my oil pumps out as dark as Hershey's chocolate
I've had this happen on my rover, and my previous car. Both running Mobil 1.

Dad's cars running Mobil 1 (LS Engines) usually come out a lot cleaner, but these are like 2k OCIs lol.

MW3Designs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t know how much truth there is to switching oils and then leaks showing up, but I think that might have been the case with my LR4. I’m not sure what the shop that sold it to me put in it, 1600 miles and it’s a leaker, big time. I was able to get service history to see what was used for the last 8 years though. Time to replace some stuff and then I’ll pick a high mileage oil, not sure which one yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure what the shop that sold it to me put in it, 1600 miles and it’s a leaker, big time.
Hmm...Leaking soon after you purchased it, or after an oil service? If after an oil service did they use an evacuator or pull the oil pan drain plug to drain the oil? If the latter that's not recommended and asking for trouble (and leaks) on these things.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe thick oil... Keeps things quiet and leaks less while trying to sell.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut