What oil are you using?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MW3- Good luck with your project(s). At least you will have some confidence that everything is done right.

On the 'oil' topic: My indy shop still uses the Castrol Edge 'Pro' stuff at about $14/qt. (SMH, but labor is 1/2 the dealer).
When I do it, it's plain old Castrol Edge 0W-20 $4.89/qt for 5 quart jug from Amazon. However, I did notice a Castrol Edge 0W-20 'Extended Performance' (meaning up to 20K miles between changes if that's anyones goal?) $9/qt. for a 6pack. I'll bet it's the same formula as the 'Pro' stuff given LR's 16K or 1year oil change interval. For what any of that's worth.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mahle or Land Rover, whichever happens to be cheaper on Amazon. Mahle makes the Land Rover filter, so they are both the same thing.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t know how much truth there is to switching oils and then leaks showing up, but I think that might have been the case with my LR4. I’m not sure what the shop that sold it to me put in it, 1600 miles and it’s a leaker, big time. I was able to get service history to see what was used for the last 8 years though. Time to replace some stuff and then I’ll pick a high mileage oil, not sure which one yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I purchased my LR4 relatively leak free, except for vaccuum pump.
my first oil change I used Liquimoly 0w20.

about 1 week later i noticed leaks.
bell housing/engine seam was wet, not dripping (rear main seal?)
oil filter housing gasket
possible valve cover seepage

switched to Valvoline Maxlife sythetic high mileage 5w20, and replaced the oil filter gasket (worst of the leaks). since then...not a drop.

Balto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mahle or Land Rover, whichever happens to be cheaper on Amazon. Mahle makes the Land Rover filter, so they are both the same thing.

Any idea what the efficiency rating is on these filters? Like are they 99% efficient with 20 or 25 small microns? I know probably not anything to really care about but just curious how our filter options compare to each other.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Outside o the new WIX all brands Mann/Mahle/LR/Napa have looked the same.

Balto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Outside o the new WIX all brands Mann/Mahle/LR/Napa have looked the same.

New Wix? Got a Link? Thanks

I agree that all the ones I've seen look exactly the same minus two: They both have a yellow media vs White like the others.

The STP Extended Life S10992XL that says provides for 10k miles and has 99% efficiency and removes particles as small as 20 microns.
https://www.autozone.com/external-e...xtended-life-oil-filter-s10992xl/87578_0_6863

And

The Premium Guard Extended Life PG6290EX that also says 10k miles but 99% efficiency with 25 micron particles vs 20 the STP says.
https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Guar...dp/B07DFBZ2S8/ref=psdc_15727201_t4_B00DQEB2OK

Balto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So from a little research this is what I have found so far(really a lot harder to find out efficiency and microns than I thought it would be):

STP Extended Life S10992XL(YELLOW MEDIA): Around $15
99% efficiency and as small as 20 microns(the information is a little misleading as it DOESN'T say 99% "AT" 20 microns but "CAN" remove particles as small as 20 microns.

Premium Guard Extended Life PG6290EX(YELLOW MEDIA): Around $10
Actually says 99% efficiency as low as 25 microns

ACDelco Gold PF659(WHITE MEDIA): Around $15
Found info saying 98% efficiency at 25 microns

WIX 57279(WHITE MEDIA): Around $33

Mann HU 8008 Z(WHITE MEDIA): Around $32

Mahle OX 774D(WHITE MEDIA): Around $28
Found info saying 98% efficiency at 30 microns

Fram Extra Guard CH10992(WHITE MEDIA): Around $38
Found info saying 95% efficiency not sure what microns

Again, I'm sure it doesn't matter with 6k oil changes but hey gives us something to discuss

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA