Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

farouk1

Reaction score
Dear all,:creep:

Thank you for receiving me amongst you. It's good to be here and share some :cool:thoughts and / or feelings towards the same things.

I'd like if I may query this basic physical attribute of my LR3 wheels size that are presently shoed with the standard HP 255 60 18R, if my memory serves right. What does it matter if I opt for a bigger dia tyre after I managed to avoid all rubbing and the like. Would it have any bearing on the drives, gear box and eventually the diffs.

Wish you all a Merry Xmas and a terrific New Year 2009.

Farouk

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Farouk,

Welcome to the site. The key issue with bigger diameter tires is the rubbing - as long as you aren't rubbing, the rest is pretty minor:

1. More stress on the brakes (minor issue - the LR3 has fantastic brakes)
2. Taller overall gearing - this will affect acceleration (once again - minor since you can't run tires that much bigger without rubbing)
3. More unsprung weight (which affects things like handling, ride, etc) - this is minor again - I doubt you'll add that much weight.
4. More overall vehicle height (I believe you can run up to a 31.5" tire without rubbing, which adds about 3/4" of additional height). This could be a problem if you have to fit under a low overhang. A side benefit is the additional ground clearance.

That's all I can think of right now. Like I said, the biggest issue is rubbing - as long as you avoid that, you should be fine.

BTW - search for nwood's "nextstepdesigns" website - he has a great write-up on tires for the LR3.

-Rich

farouk1

Reaction score
Thanks Rich for your efforts. Very commandable. Now the question is what if I go for a GY MTR LT275x60x18 (very recommended over here for any off roading of any significance) what spacer thickness do I need to avoid any rubbing and yet without any effects on the Diffs / steering, etc mechanisms?
Best regards and wish one and all an excellent New Year 2009.

Farouk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635