When is it time to say goodbye?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

t3s1a

Reaction score
Same for me, going to keep mine till they ban gasoline and use as a personal space after that . Eventually, it will become a collectible item like a classic defender

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All good points raised.
I have never bought a new vehicle. My usual car buying model is to buy something used at 3-4yo and go for vehicles that depreciate heavily. That way you get a bargain. Idly looking at Alfa Romeo Stelvio's. Still a bit newish, but if modern Alfa values do not drop like a brick over time, then I will eat my hat! I was a long-term Saab owner before the LR4 for this reason, plus the cars were great too, albeit with some of the LR4 foibles.
We have owned our LR4 for 4yrs. It had a new engine under extended factory warranty with the previous owner. I am assuming timing chain issue, but did not get a detailed reason. I too like to tinker with my vehicles. Ideally, we would have a garage to house the LR4 and it would be a second vehicle. Living in Toronto garage space is at a premium, so that options gone. The LR4 has actually been v reliable and touch wood, has not let us down in 30k miles of driving.
The pondering continues.........

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
103,000 miles and still a daily for me.

I don't have plans to get rid of mine anytime soon.

I'd like to eventually get an EV or something like a BMW M3, but I'll be keeping the Discovery.
mid-2000's M3 high on my list as a modern classic to own!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All good points raised.
I have never bought a new vehicle. My usual car buying model is to buy something used at 3-4yo and go for vehicles that depreciate heavily. That way you get a bargain. Idly looking at Alfa Romeo Stelvio's. Still a bit newish, but if modern Alfa values do not drop like a brick over time, then I will eat my hat! I was a long-term Saab owner before the LR4 for this reason, plus the cars were great too, albeit with some of the LR4 foibles.
We have owned our LR4 for 4yrs. It had a new engine under extended factory warranty with the previous owner. I am assuming timing chain issue, but did not get a detailed reason. I too like to tinker with my vehicles. Ideally, we would have a garage to house the LR4 and it would be a second vehicle. Living in Toronto garage space is at a premium, so that options gone. The LR4 has actually been v reliable and touch wood, has not let us down in 30k miles of driving.
The pondering continues.........

Not sure an Alfa is the right move if you have to work on your car in the street. That's moving in the wrong direction.

I guess an Alfa will help clear up any anxiety you may have wondering if something will go wrong with your vehicle. You won't have to wonder anymore.

namenda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2012 LR4 V8 with 116k miles. It's my daily driver with 100 miles roundtrip work commute. $4000-5000 yearly expense for maintenance, repairs. Then add gas expense. Paid $1000 for a rental last summer while the truck was in the shop waiting for parts (delaved because COVID). It's irrationally irrational.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn. A 100-mile daily commute makes my 4-mile commute look like a trip to the refrigerator.

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
12% of that figure has been my number as an average over 10 years.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure an Alfa is the right move if you have to work on your car in the street. That's moving in the wrong direction.

I guess an Alfa will help clear up any anxiety you may have wondering if something will go wrong with your vehicle. You won't have to wonder anymore.
I didn't say I wasn't a risk taker!
My last exposure to Alfas was circa rusted out Alfa suds in 1980's. Vaguely hoping past 40yrs was enough time for Alfa to deliver gorgeous designs AND reliability? Haven't researched modern Alfas yet, but on radar.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow…yearly? For how many years? What the hell happened that averaged out to that kind of cost?
Yikes!
My mechanic recently said you need to be a home mechanic or you are looking at $CAD5k annually going forward to keep a 2010 LR4 on the road

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA