When is it time to say goodbye?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gotta be honest. All I’ve ever put in my truck is oil and gas. I just did lights but that was an upgrade. I haven’t had to repair a thing in 7 years. I will do control arms soon, about it.
No tires? No brakes? No diff/trans oil changes? Don't worry you got a water pump in your future lol.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are paying for fuel?? Wow.
Average price per gallon over ownership is $2.79 USD per gallon.

Fuel prices have gone up a lot since I bought it though. Currently paying $3.66 per gallon.

I almost always fuel up from Costco, so that helps the pricing a lot. 91 octane (93 not available in my state)

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's too bad the D5 is what it is and frankly the Defender to me looks like a clown car (How many lights do you need in the rear?).

Having owned a Defender for over a year, I have finally accepted the unique styling. LR4 is just a classic, timeless design. And I really miss the load space of the LR4, I can see myself getting a 130 once they are available.

Now the positives...on road handling is amazing. No idea how they got something so tall to handle and steer so well at speed. I did get the optional torque vectoring which I'm sure helps.

Off road ability is far better than the LR4. Really. I can just drive off the road onto the beach in really deep soft sand. No sand mode, no low gear or airing down needed. But nice to know those options are there. Same with deep snow...absolute beast that feels unstoppable.

But in all honesty, still miss our LR4. It just did it all!

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well in that case, add $1300 lol.

Total ownership over 60,642 miles I've spent $4,205.

Total with fuel I'm at $0.201 per mile.
That is 60k miles from New?
Thats the mileage I bought mine at.
Since then US14 cents/mile excl. Fuel and depreciation :(

Chrisarobin

Reaction score
I feel your pain - I have a 2010 with 240k miles on it and I just listed it because I have a new VW ID4 coming and don't have the garage space.sure, it was expensive to maintain but as stated above - always a pleasure to drive with pride (almost always). I listed (see link) it high and sure to get a bunch of low ball offers. but a car is worth what? a car I worth what someone will pay for it and I want someone who appreciates it to take for the next 240kmiles... I know an EV is no replacement for it bt it is slightly offsetting the 12 years of premium fuel ;-). do we know of many other owners at this mileage ?

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
VW ID4? Just checked it out. Nice!
240k miles? Mine is just shy of 100k miles. Hell, its good for another 12yrs at least!
Good luck with the sale. With covid premium, good time to sell.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Average price per gallon over ownership is $2.79 USD per gallon.

Fuel prices have gone up a lot since I bought it though. Currently paying $3.66 per gallon.

I almost always fuel up from Costco, so that helps the pricing a lot. 91 octane (93 not available in my state)
But are you factoring in what your time is worth re. Queuing up for 2hrs per fill up at Costco? One near us, but line ups are always crazy long, so have never bothered.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is 60k miles from New?
Thats the mileage I bought mine at.
Since then US14 cents/mile excl. Fuel and depreciation :(
I bought it with 43k on it. I'm at around 103k right now.
But are you factoring in what your time is worth re. Queuing up for 2hrs per fill up at Costco? One near us, but line ups are always crazy long, so have never bothered.
I usually only go towards the evening when no ones there, plus my Costco just added more fuel pumps. I never wait more than 5 minutes, so I'd say its well worth it. Plus I'm usually tooling around and shopping when I get there.

My job also gives me weird days of the week off, so on a Wednesday afternoon there aren't a lot of people there.

Musikki

Reaction score
It’s really a vehicle that makes the owner happy driving it no matter what. Even the owners that has hell with these vehicles will always say its a dream to drive, just research on the forum. If you kept it this long to even ask your initial question then it’s too late to get rid of it, unless money is REALLY* tight.
This is a really good answer, jlach, particularly about the LR4, Discovery 4 to me. I have a 2012 SDV6 HSE, and compared to other vehicles I've owned it's another world. I enjoyed the Rangie Classic and the Series I Discovery, but the smile factor with the Disco 4 is ridiculous. Of course only you Americans buy them with V8s, mine is a V6 Diesel, and on a trip I get 7.2 l/100km, or 44 mpg.

I know that for the planet I should have bought electric or even a RAV4 Hybrid, but I rationalized and bought pleasure. My maintenance costs have been OK, but the criterion is not how they compare with maintenance costs of other cars, but what price enjoyment?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA