Where does this heat shield go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

farupp

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago a heat shield fell off from some where on the bottom of our LR3 We retrieved the old one from the road, was able to read the part number, and order a new one. However, the local LR dealer does not know where the shield is to be mounted. Could anyone on this forum help? Before I crawl under the LR3 and get my eyes full of dirt taking panels off, I would like to hopefully know where the heat shield is to be mounted and how.

Here is the ad from eBay which shows the shield but not exactly where it is to be mounted:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370322382469?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Below are the pictures of the old and new heat shield.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Heat Shield A.JPG
    Heat Shield A.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Heat Shield.JPG
    Heat Shield.JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 24

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, can't help you just by the shape. The good news is that it should be obvious. It'll be the clean spot shaped like the shield in your picture :)
It wouldn't have fallen off if it was hidden by a skid plate. Did it make a bunch of racket when it fell? Can't figure out how all 10 mounting points all failed at once unless it was ripped off after part of it failed. Maybe along or near the drive shaft?
I'm with Houm, how does the dealer not know?? Too lazy to look up the part# on the computer and look at the diagram?

farupp

Reaction score
Houm, all the dealer could offer was the same illustration shown in the eBay ad. I'll look it up on the site you suggested.

roverman, it made lots of noise when it fell off. It has three mounting points and a clip that might go into the chassis. It 100 degrees F here and I didn't really feel about just crawling under and hoping to see where it came from. I lifted the car up with the suspension and couldn't see anything when I looked in the wheel wells.

I also hope that it will be obvious. The old one didn't look like it was bolted on anywhere. Very strange.

When I find where it goes I will post a picture. Thanks for the ideas.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW....I've seen it up there (on the LR3, when looking at it from underneath). You WILL see it easily and it will be obvious.

farupp

Reaction score
After crawling around under the LR for an hour the location of the missing heat shield was not determined. So I called my local independent LR garage and they put another LR3 up on a lift. Then we found where my shield came off. It is the heat shield that goes next to the front muffler, opposite the compressor, and is mounted to the frame. We concluded that it helps keep heat from the muffler away from the compressor on the other side of the frame. Here are some pictures of the heat shield in place. All is good in LR land for now.

Attachments

• Heat Shield Location A.jpg
    Heat Shield Location A.jpg
    748.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Heat Shield Location B.jpg
    Heat Shield Location B.jpg
    910.3 KB · Views: 36

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AHHH....THAT'S where I've seen that thing before!!! :)

farupp

Reaction score
Yep. One more thing to confirm you "have forgotten more than they know!"

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9