Whining power steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brownie92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2000 DII

About a year ago I was living in a colder climate (days below zero) and my p/s would whine badly when it was cold, this went on for weeks. When it finally warmed up all the fluid ran out onto the ground. I assume there was water in the fluid and it froze up blowing the seals on the pump. So I replaced it. Fast foward to now.....new pump lots of new fluid...flushed system.
Now when it is cold (below freezing) the damn thing still whines like it has no fluid. when it warms up it is fine, unless the temp is in the 20s then it never will get warm enough to stop. when it does this the ps does not work ,just like there is no fluid in the system. Something is blocking the flow of fluid in the system when it is cold.

Question: is there a valve somewhere in the system that could be sticking causing this?
I plan on flushing the system again....is there a better way to do this?

ANY help is greatly appreciated. I DO NOT want to have to replace that thing again NOT FUN.
Thanks guys/gals

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you install a new pump or used? What fluid di you use and have you tried a 1/2 bottle of Lucas stop leak, made to free up all the internal valve and stop internal valve leaking?

Brownie92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you install a new pump or used? What fluid di you use and have you tried a 1/2 bottle of Lucas stop leak, made to free up all the internal valve and stop internal valve leaking?

Sorry, I should have been more speciffic. A used pump from a reliable person recommended by someone here. I flushed the sytem with several quarts of ATF and refilled with ATF and lucas.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
D2's take P/S fluid, not ATF. As for the Lucas, which I really like, if you used a whole bottle of it, your pump will growl at you on cold mornings.
There is no such thing a a good pump from a friend of a friend, it may also be bad.
Send me your number and I'll call and walk you thru what to do.

Brownie92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks and sorry

Thanks for the info and sorry it has taken me a while. My computer crashed and I have been without for a while.
I flushed the system (I think I need to do it again because it is still red from the ATF).
Is there a better way than removing and filling via low pressure hose while letting it run out of the tank? I have done this with it running and then bleed the gear box lock to lock. Only added 1/4 bottle of lucas and I still get the whine but it seems like it goes away sooner now (or maybe I'm just turning the radio up louder now)
Thanks again

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635