Winky Navi screen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2yellowlabs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
30 degrees F this AM. Navi screen backlight was flickering light to dark. Anyone have this issue? I assume it's temp related?

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flicking NAV screen.

It may be colder weather doing it as I have seen the same thing, and probably more often when it is cold rather than in summer.

Rather than the cold however, I assumed it was an ambient lighting thing. Generally cold weather means dull lighting and I think the light sensors cannot figure out whether it is day or night or just what. It may also be the light sensor circuits do not like the cold weather.

As to where the light sensor is for the NAV, I do not know. For the headlights, the sensor is glued to the windscreen behind the mirror, (also the rain sensor), and I do not know if that sensor is shared with the NAV or if the screen has its own built in somewhere. Somehow, I expect it is a shared thing as that design is more complicated, (or more elegant), and that is the Land Rover way. I also note that pin 12 of the screen connector C2819 is for a dimming signal input so ...

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the light sensor for the dash lights is with in the instrument pack. Specifically the white spot next to the flashing red light when the key is out and off...

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dash located - yes, you are correct.

I believe the light sensor for the dash lights is with in the instrument pack. Specifically the white spot next to the flashing red light when the key is out and off...
Yes, you are correct, the dash light sensor is down on the dash by the flashing red security light so that is probably where the NAV gets it dimmer signal from as well.

The rain/headlight sensor is up behind the mirror but has nothing to do with dash display brightness - thanks for the correction.

Now that I think about it, my thought that winter lighting makes the NAV flicker makes even more sense. Around here these days in the winter, the sun sits at about 3 O'Clock for a good part of the "day", so depending upon direction and driver shadow, the dash messages displays can be washed out or totally in the dark. It seems at times the sun rarely get over the hood - rises in the south and sets a few hours later still in the south. No wonder everyone who is smart leaves and goes to Arizona. I use my sunglasses more in the winter than I do in the summer month when the sun is always high and to the north.

Mack73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw the same thing once a couple weeks ago. As others it was a very dark dull Seattle day. Restart and it was fine.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635