Wrong transfer case fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mariah

Reaction score
I got my 2016 Land Rover LR4 back today after the 64,000 service. They did a transfer case fluid change. When I got the truck back, I discovered that they put the fluid in for a 2 speed transfer case IYK500010 and I have a 1 speed transfer case, correct fluid LR048849. I am very upset because I take excellent care of my truck and now I feel like a perfectly running truck has been damaged. It was the dealer who did this. I called them and
they are cooperating. They are contacting LR corporate to find out the answer. They say they use IYK500010 for all the trucks no matter what make or year. I am afraid to drive the car. Is my car ruined. It was driven for an hour today.

Last edited:

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will likely be fine. The 2 speed stuff is a 30W oil with a much lower viscosity than the single speed stuff which is a 75W (GL-3)gear oil. The dealer should give you a couple flushes with the correct stuff and get it noted incase something undesirable crops up in the next few years.

mariah

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. The concern I have is with a thicker fluid than is called for, the car will work harder and will have failures in the future.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe your single speed oil is thicker not thinner. The 2 speed transfer case fluid is pretty thin..

Screenshot 2021-08-13 094935.png

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with @ktm525 . I doubt anything has been damaged. In fact, I'd be more worried if thinner fluid than was called for was used. Have them flush it a couple of times and it should be fine, but that's just what I would do.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinner fluid was used. The 2 speed fluid is thin (like an ATF) while the single speed stuff is 75W gear oil. Think of the thin stuff they used like a flush. refill and drain a couple times with the proper thick stuff and you will be ok.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick