Yakima or Thule Box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, the 18cf sky box isn't too long? It doesn't interfere with the rear door opening all the way?

How about hitch mounted bike racks? I recently purchased the non swing Thule apex carrier. For the jeep, I could open the top portion of the rear door without moving the rack, and I could tilt it down, after removing the bikes, to open the main door. As the lr4 doors are different, I am wondering if I need the swing type hitches instead. It would suck to have to remove the bike rack completely in order to get into the back.

Car won't arrive for a few weeks but I might like to take advantage of the rei sale this weekend

Thanks

mateored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The SkyBox 18 and SkyBox 21 fit perfectly on the LR4 and don't interfere with the hatch.

For hitch-mounted bike carriers, there is a good thread on here from last year. Do a search. I recommended the Kuat NV.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My SkyBox had the same "foolproof" latches where you can't take the key out until all of the clasps engaged. That wasn't the problem. The problem was that the design of the clasps was not robust enough to withstand high air pressure inside the box that occurs at highway speeds if there is an air leak. The air leak is caused by a slight deformity in the shape of the shell. The theory is that if you store the box incorrectly for a long time...
That's crazy. I can not imagine anything blowing the latches out on this box, but I guess you described a really unique circumstance.

If you get a box, Yakima makes a nice bar to store it on. You could probably make one but for $25 you can get something designed for this purpose and the rail attachments slip over this nicely;

http://www.rack-it.com/yakima-cargo-box-hanger-7144-p78751/
d_768.jpg

mateored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The scary part is that it's not unique at all. If you google it, you'll find a few people talking about the same thing happening. When I called Yakima, they weren't surprised. It's not a common occurrence, but it's happened enough times that they are quite familiar with the problem. Apparently, almost all of the accidents of this sort have happened on windy sections of particular highways in Colorado and California.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The scary part is that it's not unique at all. If you google it, you'll find a few people talking about the same thing happening. When I called Yakima, they weren't surprised. It's not a common occurrence, but it's happened enough times that they are quite familiar with the problem. Apparently, almost all of the accidents of this sort have happened on windy sections of particular highways in Colorado and California.
Man don't tell me that...I don't want to know! I'm a kitesurfer (we just got in the olympics!) and am usually driving my rover, box on top, in very high wind conditions on the way to the beach.

At least I'm not driving in CO or CA...so I should be safe. :biggrin:

(seriously, I feel my box is rock solid when latched, but I'll always look out for holes in the bottom or warping you pointed out. I always make sure my lid latches flush all the way around. Sometimes if I have too much stuff crammed in there one section may bow a bit...I re-arrange gear and it's all good again)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM