Yet Another Tow Hitch Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that is your concern, order a new one, as the old DOT approved ones have been known to snap into two.

pvangura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update...

Stopped at the other Land Rover dealership in town yesterday (after disassembling and reassembling the hitch like 10 times trying to figure out what was wrong), and they too told me that it is "broken". Apparently, it seems that the mechanism that "fires" the locking pin when you push the receiver into place has given up. They are unable to order any parts related to the hitch, except the locking handle, or the entire assembly...so its buy a new one or come up with something else. The service tech that I spoke to agreed that the LR hitch is by far the most poorly designed piece of car/truck kit he has ever seen.

At this point, instead of forking over $350 (used)-500 (new) for a poorly designed hitch/anchor for the back of my truck, I'm going to pursue a custom solution. Headed to my cousin's fab shop on Saturday morning to take some stuff apart and see what we can come up with. I'm hoping to relocate the receiver tube somewhere higher off the ground, and if I have to build a whole bumper to do it, I just might. :biggrin:

Paul

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '05 has a foam insert on the rear driver's side (left) cubby that holds the hitch plus a cheesy strap to secure it. Awkward to get it in there though~!
Yeah, I wish I had that. I'm afraid to manufacturer something myself which would be around all that rear air wiring and assemblies. Between the receiver on one side and the ball/tongue on the other...it'd just be prone for issues. I guess I just haven't found heavy enough foam and a way to cut it...

newthings

Reaction score
The Mitch Hitch looks like it solves all of the problems with the Plow.
I am in for a group order.
Roy

pvangura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the mitch hitch a permanent mount? Or is it removable, similar to the factory part?

newthings

Reaction score
Google- Land rover Mitch Hitch for info.
http://store.mitchellbros.com.au/discovery-3-4-and-rrs/discovery-3-tow-hitch.html

The Mitch Hitch uses the recovery eye, with a bushing, to pull from. It uses a metal tongue into the OEM socket under the bumper, but without any locking into the socket. It is made to leave in place, but is a bolt on.

Reports say some provision must be made to partially block the back up sensor, since the hitch is seen as a hazard to backing.

Roy

pvangura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roy,

Thanks for the reply. I've checked out the pictures, etc. on the site, but just couldn't figure out how that thing was mounting to the recovery point behind the bumper cover. A big bushing makes sense.

I still don't like the idea of having that monstrosity hanging off the back of the truck all of the time though...I assume that removing/installing something like the Mitch Hitch would be too intensive to do it only when I'm about to use it?

Paul

newthings

Reaction score
Paul,
It looks like a 4" knee knocker without the ball plugged in. If going on a tow trip, bolting on and off again, should not be too hard.
Roy

pvangura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another Update

I know it's been a while, but another update on this...

When I took the hitch to the other Land Rover dealership in town, the GM was pretty unhappy to hear that nothing could be done to fix it. He happens to know my wife, since she is the area Audi rep, and told her he would see about getting it replaced the next time he saw his Land Rover service rep. Sure enough, I came back from a trip this weekend, and there was a box from LR North America in the living room. Brand new hitch, shorter style style and all. Nice work, Land Rover. On an interesting note, it appears that the hitch is manufactured by Thule Europe (stickers on the box indicated that's where it came from).

While all of this was going on, I visited my cousin at his fab shop and came up with an alternative solution. After some figuring and looking at other options, we came up with a similar solution to the Mitch Hitch. It will mount to the rear recovery point/existing hitch area via a machined bushing and 3 grade 8 bolts. Should still be fairly quick to remove, and will put the hitch at bumper height. I've only got one crummy cell phone pic of the rough start, so I'll wait to post photos until something is a little more "finished."

Paul

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut