iPod/iPhone options for 2012 Base?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchenrytl

Reaction score
iPod/iPhone options for 2011 Base?

I have a 2011 Base LR4 and recently bought the Land Rover iPod cable, only to discover that it plugs into a port in the console between the front two seats, of which mine has no such port. What are my options? I assume replacing the stereo is out? Is there a way to wire it from behind the stereo to the glovebox?

Thanks,
-Troy

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MY2012s and later don't require a proprietary iPod cable anymore, just a regular USB cable such as the one supplied with your iPod or iPhone. Dedicated USB socket should be found inside the center console storage area under the arm rest on MY12s (including Base models, I believe.)

PS: Just noticed your signature says "2011 LR4"... Which one is it, 2011 or 2012?

gamh2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You only need the USB cable if you want to charge the iPhone/iPod. You can play your music from the iPhone using only BT. Works very well when using Pandora or iTunes Radio from you iPhone since you will have cellular broadband connection. This will be the same for an iPod Touch which has BT but only from your playlists. No broadband connection for iPod Touch.

mchenrytl

Reaction score
My bad, you are correct, mine is a 2011.

I don't remember seeing any port of any kind in the arm rest console, including USB.

My LR4 does have Bluetooth, but I can't seem to play a playlist.

Thanks,
-Troy

gamh2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the following link for location of USB.

http://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/content/document/view?id=112868&groupId=1655

Looks like BT software version on the 2011 only allows BT for the phone part.

If you still can't find the USB connection then check if you have the AUX connector in the rear of the center console. If so then you will have to connect from you headphone output in your iPhone/iPod. Unfortunately you will have operate from device itself and will need to charge with a car charger attached to a power outlet or lighter outlet.

mchenrytl

Reaction score
Yeah, I've been doing just that so far, of using the aux mini rya on the back of the console to the headphone port on my iPhone, just wish I had a wireless solution. Is there nothing that can be plugged into the back of the factory stereo, where perhaps a CD changer would go? I used to use the ICELink on my Audi and it worked great.

gamh2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes radio units have connections for this. Would need to research more on the web or check with you local LR. High-end car stereo shops usually are more aware of compatible wireless solutions if one is available. I checked Dension but unfortunately they do not have anything LR compatible. If I find something I'll let you know.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are my options? I assume replacing the stereo is out? Is there a way to wire it from behind the stereo to the glovebox?

A few of us discussed the Kinivo BTC450 device recently. It has proven to be a very acceptable workaround for me in my 2011 LR4 HSE.

This device costs around $35. It plugs into the AUX port on the rear face of the center console and has a separate AC plug that goes into the power port next to that AUX port. A long wire allows you to unobtrusively mount the adhesive-backed receiver/mic/controller on the dash.

Once installed, you select the AUX input via your touchscreen and you’re all set to stream BT music and take/receive calls. Sound quality is great w/phone calls indistinguishable from LR’s built-in BT phone functions. Controls are simple to play/pause/FF music, accept/end calls, and even activate Siri on iPhones. Yes, it does require another car charger for the phone; I use a nice Belkin model with a tight black coiled cord and when my phone is in the cubby it’s a tidy arrangement.

For various reasons I also keep an old iPhone attached via the LR cable you mentioned (my HSE has the port in the center console for this). I play some stuff from that phone which I can’t access via Spotify on my regular phone. All combined, this has proven to be a pretty decent and ergonomic setup for me and my 2011 LR4. --Chris

mchenrytl

Reaction score
Chris, that sounds perfect, I'll give it a try.

Thanks,
-Troy

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a dedicated iPod Classic for the car, which has much more storage than an iPod touch or iPhone (and cheaper to buy). That way I keep my entire music collection (~50GB) available in the car via USB at all times and use my iPhone to stream music or podcasts if needed. This setup works well for me, and combined with sat radio I'm set.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo