Towing - Who has towed what?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoulderGT3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to actually get some feedback going the other way. I was kind of afraid that I might be pushing my luck with an enclosed trailer, even a relatively lightweight one. While many of my events are in the midwest (no real elevation changes at all) there will be a few out in California and out on the east coast that I may attend, so the elevation issues do concern me.

I guess it'd be good to find out what kind of mileage everyone sees while towing, as well as distances and types of driving (ie. elevation changes, flat interstate cruising, etc). I can't imagine getting anything over 12mpg, to be honest.

My loads are usually pretty minimal - jack/jackstands, safety gear, extra set of pads, fluid, few tools (since I drive a Honda, the majority of work can be done using a pretty small set of tools...nothing too complicated), cooler and clothes. In years past I've gotten away with just putting it all in the back of the race car and heading out, but after a few hairy incidents, I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to maybe have some piece of mind in towing it.

I actuallly wanted some sort of turbodiesel V8 dually, but since it was more my better half's choice over mine, she wasn't a fan of driving a pickup everyday. The LR3 really seems incredibly versatile, and drives better than any vehicle in its class that I can think of besides a Cayeenne Turbo, which was a little out of our price range, and wasn't that impressive to warrant the difference when compared with the LR3. In fact, my buddy towed his S2000 with a naturally-aspirated Cayenne V8 from Chicago to Los Angeles and back without incident, so that gave me some initial encouragement that the LR3 would at least be decently capable.

I'm hoping I'll be alright as long as I don't overdo it on the weight, but just from driving the LR3 a few times as it is, I could see where the engine would feel a bit over-worked...the thing's just so darn heavy by iteself. Wonder if there's anything reasonably cheap that I can do to free up some torque in the powerband?

I'm very happy with the LR3 but I think it has only eoungh power for itself. There are no easy gains to be had with the LR3 motor as it is pretty well tuned out of the box. I'm also very conservative about towing. When things go bad towing, which they can in a hurry, I want the more than ample towing capacity.

Don't regret not buying a diesel. I love mine but hate it aound town and as a daily driver.

I don't like driving my track car on the road either. I always worried about someting happening at an event and after a long weekend it's nice to drive sometihng that doesn't smell like brake pads on the way home.

Maybe a small trailer or roof rack for the car and drive at 8/10's?

mzaver

Reaction score
Nice pics. I don't tow anything, but I would imagine that you would need to map out gas stations along your route. At 15-19 highway MPG without towing anything - I couldn't even imagine the MPG while towing.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MPg in my 05 HSE V8 with a 23' camping travel trailer is around 8-10mpg. I was worried about the LR3 towing, and really sweated about it prior to towing anything. I was shocked at how good the LR3 can tow my rig. In about two years of towing, not a single white knucke moment. The LR3 is so beefy and heavy, it would take a lot to wag its 6,000lbs.

Braking, acceleration, and handling are all excellent. The wind resistance in the biggest thing hurting the MPG, so a car rig would likely be easier to tow than a loaded camping travel trailer.

broiler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I used my LR3 for towing for the first time, and towed a 24' Maxum boat (2400SC3). This boat is listed as 5600 lbs. boat + trailer, dry. However the boat had a full fuel tank (70 gallons) which pushed the weight over 6000 lbs. I was really nervous getting this thing hooked up and for the first few miles, but eventually the LR3 seemed to handle this just fine. I went about 25 miles total, with a combination of highway and city driving. I had to go through about 30 stoplights (not kidding), so there was a lot of stopping and starting. But overall, there were no issues. When I'm towing I always drive like a grandpa on ******: I'm super cautious and leave a lot of cushion for braking a accelerating.

If I get a chance I'll try and get a picture. The boat looked HUGE behind the LR3!!

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I get a chance I'll try and get a picture. The boat looked HUGE behind the LR3!!

Do that! I'd like to see just how big that boat is! What kind of towing equipment have you added?

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my experience and research, weight is not the big enemy of towing with an LR3, but wind resistance is. Boat is much easier than a camping travel trailer. Regardless, I am still thrilled with the great way the LR3 tows. (No weight distribution hitch, just a sway control arm.

angasreid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've towed a 22' Centurion ski boat about 45 miles at the beginning and end of every summer season, and when it needs service. But the trailer had built in brakes, and the LR3 pulled it well. Weight of the boat and trailer is about 4000lbs and still had considerable power. I kept it mostly in sport mode to keep that overdrive from kicking in. Being able to watch the air-ride lift the trailer up was pretty cool. Here's a pic.
87228591-afd5-4da3-9.jpg

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^Nice boat. Do you wakeboard or ski? My buddy used to have a MasterCraft XStar - I spent the majority of the summer between my Junior and Senior year in college on the lake wakeboarding. The lack of good lakes is the one thing I miss in Colorado.

-Rich

TomK

Reaction score
TrailManor 3023

We purchased a used TrailManor 3023 a couple of weeks ago. I had to install the trailer wiring and brake control in our 2005 LR3... which went without much trouble in less than 60 minutes. The TM3023 came with a load leveler and anti-sway hitch setup. That went on the LR3 and hooked up without a problem or adjustment. Then we drove 350 miles from Montana to South Dakota... 3,500 lb - 26 ft. trailer at 75 mph on cruise up and down hills and around slower traffic... dropped the MPG by less than 3 MPG compared to going over to pick it up. Last weekend we took our first outing up into the Black Hills... again - no problem. The LR3 pulls the TM3023 truly effortlessly.

TomK
Black Hills of South Dakota

Attachments

• 20080315-2 Big Horn Mtns Overlook on I-90 E of Buffalo, WY 128x160.jpg
    20080315-2 Big Horn Mtns Overlook on I-90 E of Buffalo, WY 128x160.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 270

gsxrgessler

Reaction score
I have towed my Centurion wakeboard boat behind the LR3 as well, I drive on about a 600+ mile trip from Minneapolis to Northern Arkansas every year...through the Ozark mountains, etc... Towing mpg is about 8-11, depending on speed. The LR3 actually does great towing, I just have the 'surge' brakes on the trailer, no brake controller.

I would estimate the load at about 2900 lbs. for the boat, and about 1,200 for the tandem trailer. I usually have all of my gear in the boat, skis, wakeboards, barefoot boom, gas, luggage, etc... so I wouldn't doubt if I am in the 4,500 to 5,000 lb. range when I am on the road.

It drives great, the self levelling suspension is a HUGE benefit from what I have experienced in my old Ford Expedition. It really handles itself well.

The mountain inclines work the engine pretty hard, but with teh 6 speed auto, it helps out quite a bit.

Next month I am heading to Nashville to pick up my next boat, a Correct Craft Super Air Nautique - which I think is just a touch heavier. That will be a 800+ mile tow back home, so I'll let you know how it goes!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99