Water Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M

Michael99b

LR3 delivered in December 04 and currently has 12,000 miles on it. Last week both front floors were soaked. Dealer fixed clogged ac condensate line and that solved the water problem on the passenger side. The driver's side was getting wet from a leak somewhere else (not sure where at the time). They removed the pillars on the side of the windshield and re-sealed them (basically, they threw some clear caulk between the exterior pillar trim and the roof and it looks like crap).

I got in the car yesterday after a light rain and as soon as I pulled away, water (alot of it) leaked down on me from the sunroof (yes the sunroof was closed). Then as I started driving the water made its way down the inside of the driver's side pillar (I could see some leaking out of the plastic cover for the air bag) and it emptied onto the floor.

Has this happened to anyone? Is it coming in through the sunroof?

steve c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man I feel terrible for you guys with issues. We had a 01 SE7 Disco with no probems and our LR3 has been the same since November.

S

sethlow

Yes. I also had the exact same issue. My dealer claimed that there are several darinage tubes associated withh the sunroof and some of mine had gotten clogged with debris. They cleared the line(s) last week. I will see if it happens again.

C

Cat

Same prob here... but different analysis/diagnosis of prob by dealer...(See leaky windshield thread from a couple of months back) Service dept. felt that leak was from windshield after putting in "shower" at dealership... They removed windshield and re-sealed around it... Problem did not reoccur until 2 months after service was done, even in heavy rains... But wife reported last week during rain that water was leaking at pillar on passenger side and tha water was actually dripping from sensor on headliner right above rearview mirror... I will have it checked again at dealer next week & will let u know what happened...

Steve

M

Michael99b

Car is at dealer today. Last week, however, while waiting for the appointment, it rained heavy while my car was in the parking lot all day. Opened the driver's side door and a waterfall came out. There was at least one inch of water on the driver's side floor. Passenger side carpet was also very wet, but no standing water. Dealer called a few minutes ago and indicated that there is a cracked sunroof drain tube. The part is not available for two more weeks. I'll let you guys know if this fixes the problem.

C

chiproyer

LR3 with 3000 miles in Charlottesville, VA. It's rained twice...and this same leak happened each time. Dealer thought it was a loose screw in the sunroof...then it leaked again. After much testing and persistence...it turns out that the drainage tube (my issue is on the passenger side) was screwed into the chassis in production, resulting in a completely clogged tube. The "leak" was actually water coming back out of the drainage tube because it could not drain past the screw. At least that's the explanation I've been given. Am hoping this resolves the problem. Let me know with a post if this solves your problem.

C

Cat

I picked up LR3 from dealer yesterday after service for leak problem. They found that the drain tube was loose from sunroof drain on driver's side. Looks like we (ones on this thread) may be setting a trend... Vehicle was also in to check for stalling problem that occurred earlier in week. Vehicle would not not start twice in two days when wife stopped while running about. Car started back up both times after waiting about 10 15 minutes????? Dealer service could not find any error codes or any problems... they basically rebooted microprocessor...

M

Michael99b

Car has been at the dealer since Tuesday morning (its now Friday afternoon). They claim one guy has been working on it all day every day. I stopped by the other day and it was in about 100 pieces. All interior trim was off, sunroof out, headliner down, seats out, carpet out. Sunroof draintube and pan were cracked. Other drain tubes clogged with debris. Appears that the clips they used to hold the drain tubes in place were crimping the tubes closed and the water was backing up. Not sure why the sunroof pan was cracked. They are still not finished with it. Heading over there this afternoon to pick up a new loaner LR3 instead of the rental they gave me. Looks like early next week until they get it all back together. I'll report back after the first rain.

M

Michael99b

Picked up the vehicle after 11 days in the shop. First I should note that the service people were friendly, cummunicative and understanding. They told me that the sunroof drain pan was cracked in two places, as were two of the sunroof drain tubes. The sunroof gasket had a small tear in it and the sunroof was not aligned properly, thus water was getting in through there. In addition, another drain tube in the body was pinched closed by a clamp. Thus the water was backing up to the sunroof (apparently all of the drain tubes are connected somehow) and then leaking into the car through the cracked sunroof pan and tubes. They pulled out all of the seats, pulled out the carpet, dried out the floors and wiring. They also installed new carpet in front and back since the original carpet was so wet that it was starting to smell and they couldn't get it dry. They also replaced the front exterior pillars along the sides of the windshield (I think they might have broken them when taking them off). They also removed the caulk that they had originally placed on the windshiled pillars. Heavy rain this morning and no leaks to report as of yet. Hopefully, this has fixed the problem.

F

Freeflytim

This can happen on any vehicle unfortunately- The sunroof on a BMW I had years ago leaked big time also... Same deal... Days in the shop to clear the lines. But- They actually had it under a lawn sprinkler for 36 hours straight before they gave it back to me. If your's still leaks... buy them a sprinkler and take it back!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72