Water Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

N

NHESS81

To avoid leaks, you will actually have o select the LAND ROVER DELETE option....

lol, ok everyone, just kidding....its totally random michael, some have problems some dont...some are fittings issues some arent...some are sun roof issues some arent...just remember, this is a forum--and as such, usually those witn problems or need help come here, so you are goin to see 'everyone' with leak issues, but remember, how many hundreds of other owners have no problems and dont stop by to praise the truck....dont let this scare you away from a landy...

Roverine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Discovered after returning from a 750 mile Memorial Day weekend trip that I've got a wet passenger side floor again. I had this issue when I first bought my truck last October, and was told that a sun roof drain was clogged with a piece of foam. I'm seeing the dealer tomorrow, and will have that checked as well as the A/C condensation issue mentioned above. My dealer has promised me a loaner-something they have not offered since the gas tank issues with LR3s arose. Hope all goes well. Otherwise, I had a great holiday-4-wheeling south of the needles district of Canyonlands N.P. Drove into Beef Basin from Cathedral Butte and saw a couple of ruins and traversed some technical terrain. I put my first "fun marks" on my truck too. (Our family term for scratches caused by brush on paint on trails overgrown with vegetation- this time of the Pinion Pine and Juniper variety). Oh well, what's the point of having a Rover if you're not going to use it for what it was intended. I got about 10-11 mpg in 50 miles of mostly rock crawl mode. I had some issues with the vehicle not wanting to stay at off road suspension height on some dirt two track, where it was possible to go 30 mph but the crown of the road between the tracks made me nervous about clearance at normal suspension height. No problems for the trip though. I only bottomed out (minorly) one time climbing up a pretty big ledge. I did catch my mud flaps on a couple of rock ledges on descent, but they held and did not tear off. All in all I remain impressed with the off road capability of this truck. It's a winner. Now if we can just keep the water out of the passenger floor pan, I'll be completely happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tommithy

I too have experienced water infiltration into the front passenger side area. After carefull inspection I believe the issue to actually be a problem with the windshield seal at the top of the windshield between the rear view mirror and the a-pillar. To date I have had the windshield "sealed" twice, sunroof drains cleaned and windshield completely replaced. The replacement seemed to have fixed the problem for about 6 months but I noticed just the other day after a good rain that it is leaking again. I'm beginning to think there is some sort of issue with the way the seal meets the body work in that area. Maybe a rough weld that prevents a good seal. After vacation I plan on taking it back to the dealer for another windshield replacement and a nicely worded "fix it or you are gonna be giving me a new lr3" conversation.

What I am curious about is if this is limited to a certain build time frame. How do you tell the build date? I took delivery in May 05 so I'm assuming it was built sometime near the end of 04. Anybody else with a leaker want to put our info together to see if we can find a correlation?

Roverine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Build date should be on the sticker on the driver's door. My LR3 is in the shop now-- promised back to me in an hour. I think my build date is Feb or May '05. I'll repost it tonight. BTW, dealer service says it was an air conditioner drain that caused my wet floor this time. Who knows? I guess I'll find out if they fixed it soon enough.

T

tommithy

I actually ended up pulling the headliner down some on the passenger side to find the leak before I took it in the last time. Stuck a hose on the roof to wash water down the windshield and sunroof and then sat in the cab watching for water along the windshield seal. That's how I pinpointed exactly where the leak was coming from.

L

lr3junkie

tommithy said:
I too have experienced water infiltration into the front passenger side area. After carefull inspection I believe the issue to actually be a problem with the windshield seal at the top of the windshield between the rear view mirror and the a-pillar. To date I have had the windshield "sealed" twice, sunroof drains cleaned and windshield completely replaced. The replacement seemed to have fixed the problem for about 6 months but I noticed just the other day after a good rain that it is leaking again. I'm beginning to think there is some sort of issue with the way the seal meets the body work in that area. Maybe a rough weld that prevents a good seal. After vacation I plan on taking it back to the dealer for another windshield replacement and a nicely worded "fix it or you are gonna be giving me a new lr3" conversation.

What I am curious about is if this is limited to a certain build time frame. How do you tell the build date? I took delivery in May 05 so I'm assuming it was built sometime near the end of 04. Anybody else with a leaker want to put our info together to see if we can find a correlation?

If you look on the inside of your drivers door, it has the month and year the vehicle was built.

L

lr305

My truck was built in Oct, 2004. I so far got zero problems although I bought it used 5 months ago.

Roverine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My build date was 3/05. Dealer returned my LR3 in one day stating the A/C drain was constricted-now supposed to be fixed. Here's hoping he's right. Got a free wash out of it anyway.

tommithy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
leak

Mine was built in 4/05. So that's 2 people with early 05 builds that are leakers. Now we just need more people and verification of exactly where the leak is actually coming from.

A

aah78

i was just going to open up a new thread with this question - glad i found this thread.

i've been having similar water-clogging problems to the ones everyone has mentioned here and was just getting worried that my LR3 was a faulty piece with rusty floor-pans / faulty sun-roof or something...

anyways, i've been out of state currently and will only be able to get the leakages stopped during my the next service schedule of 22,500miles.

the car was purchased in NY and registered there. it's always serviced at Land Rover Mt. Kisco. i'm currently working out of state - on a project in MD - does anyone know whether warranty will be honoured if i get it serviced in MD or do i have to go to the dealer i purchased it from?

thanks..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo