Things you wish you knew when you purchased your first Land Rover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I purchased my first Land Rover (a Sport, back in 2005) I wish I had known I was going to fall in love with off-roading. At the time, I just lusted after the look of the RRS - which was new to the market - and had to have her, I didn't have a clue about Land Rover's rich heritage, no idea what a locking rear differential was or why I would want it (I got it anyway, but only because the color I wanted was only available with it...) I would have saved myself a ridiculous amount of money buying expensive 21" German rims with low-profile tires, "performance" exhaust, and other bling that I now could care less about. :wink:

Since I knew what I was going to do with my almost new LR4 (other than getting myself to and from work daily and the occasional family trips and soccer dad duties), my mods have been far more focused this time. I go off road as much as I can (not as much as I'd like, but that's a different story), with friends or with my local club.

In addition to rubber mats for passenger and cargo areas, I got 18" wheels and beefier all-terrain tires, rock sliders and a skid plate to protect my baby from the rocks that, here in Southern Cal, are nearly impossible to avoid if you step off the beaten path. I installed a second battery to have more juice available in the boonies for fridge, chargers, etc.

Even when I am not off road, I always carry with me what I think is necessary equipment, even on the road - if that road takes you far away from help or a cell phone signal:

- A fire extinguisher (mounted on a bracket on the front passenger seat);
- A flashlight (mounted under my legs on the driver's seat);
- Jump start cables, a decent air compressor, an ARB tire repair kit, a full set of spare fuses, and a high quality tire pressure gauge / deflator (all in a gym bag stashed under the folded third row seats);
- An IIDTool, a diagnostic tool to read and clear fault codes and modify suspensions height, best gizmo I ever got for my car;
- A SPOT Connect satellite communicator (with a fresh set of spare batteries in the glove box);
- A First-Aid kit, the best I could find at REI that still fits in the cubby on one side of the cargo area;
- A box of baby wipes in the other cubby - laugh all you want, those things are great, they clean your hands from grease and dust, your face from food and sunscreen, they are soft and super strong, fully biodegradable and unscented.
- A Leatherman multi-tool;
- A D-ring hanging from the rear bumper's recovery point.

When I go wheeling with friends I throw in the trunk another big duffel bag with less essential stuff, including several ****** straps, Staun tire deflators set at 32 psi, couple more D-rings, an air jack, several hand tools, zip ties, FRS radio, bug spray, sunscreen, folding shovel, lantern, windproof matches, emergency shelter, a compass, a BIG scuba knife, etc. Of course, my fridge / freezer. And if I go camping for more than a day... Watch out! I can even produce a portable shower WITH full privacy enclosure on request. :biggrin:

The beauty of the LR4 is that all this crap fits and the trunk still looks half empty.

This is a very well thought out list. I'd say that no matter how close you stay to cell coverage and help, if you're going off road, the best you can do to get out of a sticky situation is deflating your tires. In order to do this you will needy an inflator to get them back to normal again. I always carry a 12V inflator in the left side compartment with the hitch receiver and hitch.

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All great information! I have most, but I am definately making a shopping list.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's an example of how the rear cargo mat might come in handy wile "off roading":

268839_10152840139190007_9201539_n.jpg

Last edited:

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what mine looks like when I go play....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 73

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly. We have never used our full size spare on our LR3. I'm sure if I had the donut spare I would have had numerous flats by now. But I like knowing there is a full size spare if I get a flat on the beach or while driving in deep snow. And if we ever curb rash a wheel we can just swap it with the perfect spare wheel.
I agree 100% If you have the option (and especially if you custom order) get the HD package. It was a major reason why I did not keep my previous 2011. I've only taken my new 2013 off road once, but having the locking rear diff DOES make a big difference. Plus, having the full-sized spare is great. I am a bit flat tire phobic, so I actually have THREE full-sized spares :) LOL.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I purchased my first Land Rover (a Sport, back in 2005) I wish I had known I was going to fall in love with off-roading. At the time, I just lusted after the look of the RRS - which was new to the market - and had to have her, I didn't have a clue about Land Rover's rich heritage, no idea what a locking rear differential was or why I would want it (I got it anyway, but only because the color I wanted was only available with it...) I would have saved myself a ridiculous amount of money buying expensive 21" German rims with low-profile tires, "performance" exhaust, and other bling that I now could care less about. :wink:

Since I knew what I was going to do with my almost new LR4 (other than getting myself to and from work daily and the occasional family trips and soccer dad duties), my mods have been far more focused this time. I go off road as much as I can (not as much as I'd like, but that's a different story), with friends or with my local club.

In addition to rubber mats for passenger and cargo areas, I got 18" wheels and beefier all-terrain tires, rock sliders and a skid plate to protect my baby from the rocks that, here in Southern Cal, are nearly impossible to avoid if you step off the beaten path. I installed a second battery to have more juice available in the boonies for fridge, chargers, etc.

Even when I am not off road, I always carry with me what I think is necessary equipment, even on the road - if that road takes you far away from help or a cell phone signal:

- A fire extinguisher (mounted on a bracket on the front passenger seat);
- A flashlight (mounted under my legs on the driver's seat);
- Jump start cables, a decent air compressor, an ARB tire repair kit, a full set of spare fuses, and a high quality tire pressure gauge / deflator (all in a gym bag stashed under the folded third row seats);
- An IIDTool, a diagnostic tool to read and clear fault codes and modify suspensions height, best gizmo I ever got for my car;
- A SPOT Connect satellite communicator (with a fresh set of spare batteries in the glove box);
- A First-Aid kit, the best I could find at REI that still fits in the cubby on one side of the cargo area;
- A box of baby wipes in the other cubby - laugh all you want, those things are great, they clean your hands from grease and dust, your face from food and sunscreen, they are soft and super strong, fully biodegradable and unscented.
- A Leatherman multi-tool;
- A D-ring hanging from the rear bumper's recovery point.

When I go wheeling with friends I throw in the trunk another big duffel bag with less essential stuff, including several ****** straps, Staun tire deflators set at 32 psi, couple more D-rings, an air jack, several hand tools, zip ties, FRS radio, bug spray, sunscreen, folding shovel, lantern, windproof matches, emergency shelter, a compass, a BIG scuba knife, etc. Of course, my fridge / freezer. And if I go camping for more than a day... Watch out! I can even produce a portable shower WITH full privacy enclosure on request. :biggrin:

The beauty of the LR4 is that all this crap fits and the trunk still looks half empty.
I printed this list. Wow. Umberto is so damn helpful.

costelj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is some great info in this thread. Thanks everyone! I don't want to put the cart before the horse, so I'll just save this info for now and hopefully put it into practice if I can finalize an LR4 soon. Cheers.

horacioad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, me again. :) I am very close to pulling the trigger on a 2013 LR4. This would be my first Land Rover and since I see a lot of good tips on this board, I thought I'd ask: knowing what you now know, what do you wish you knew when you first bought yours?

For example, should I be prepared to treat the leather? Get some protection for the paint? Make sure I get the rubber mat thing for the back? Break the car in? Not take it off road for the first month? You get the idea....

Any help for a true newbie is much appreciated.

The one thing that never crossed my mind when I bought my 2008 LR3, what I wish someone made me aware of........ The LR BUG! Prepare yourself to be a LR owner for the rest of your life. I am on number 3 since 2008, not including my wife LR2. You will learn to laugh at the price of premium gas, you will think that its cute that there is no oil dip stick and you will wonder why a $55000 vehicle does not come with memory seats standard, you will meet, at least virtually, hundreds of interesting people that will help you in any possible way in this forum. Beware my friend!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one thing that never crossed my mind when I bought my 2008 LR3, what I wish someone made me aware of........ The LR BUG! Prepare yourself to be a LR owner for the rest of your life. I am on number 3 since 2008, not including my wife LR2. You will learn to laugh at the price of premium gas, you will think that its cute that there is no oil dip stick and you will wonder why a $55000 vehicle does not come with memory seats standard, you will meet, at least virtually, hundreds of interesting people that will help you in any possible way in this forum. Beware my friend!
Amen!

Hey Horacio.... I have some unopened Nara Bronze touch-up paint and clear coat if you would like it? I got it for my previous LR4 and never needed it.

PM if you are interested, I can send it to you.

-David

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9