LR4 vs RRS offroad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maca

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I previously owned an LR3 and loved everything about that truck. Fast forward a few years and I am ready to get back into another LR product.

What's the recommendation on an LR4 versus a RRS for daily driving and an occasional offroad adventure? I am in Boston so snow is also a consideration.

My wife has an ML bluetec so I may order the RRS in diesel rather then the V8.

Lastly, road performance is not very important as I am making a conscious choice to step out of a very fast sedan and into a top-heavy suv.

Many thanks.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I previously owned an LR3 and loved everything about that truck. Fast forward a few years and I am ready to get back into another LR product.

What's the recommendation on an LR4 versus a RRS for daily driving and an occasional offroad adventure? I am in Boston so snow is also a consideration.

My wife has an ML bluetec so I may order the RRS in diesel rather then the V8.

Lastly, road performance is not very important as I am making a conscious choice to step out of a very fast sedan and into a top-heavy suv.

Many thanks.

Have had an LR3 for ~6 years (still have it) and recently got a '15 LR4. I drove the RRS and honestly was underwhelmed. The interior was nice and it handled well, but I felt that the aluminum construction transmitted much more road noise and a lot of low frequency vibration (the LR3/4 are like a vault IMO). I also don't car for the styling of the RRS. It is clearly lighter and will out-handle an LR4 on the road, but I honestly don't care. I like the looks of the 4 much better, drives like a dream and handles okay. I would imagine the 4 would outperform offroad but I haven't tested the RRS in those conditions. Snow performance will be about even with comparable rubber, although in some circumstances the RRS might do better (braking) given the lower weight. Good luck with your decision, honestly can't go wrong either way but the choice for me was a no-brainer.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have owned both (I assume you are referring to the "old" L320 RRS and not the new L494 platform that came out in 2014?) There is virtually no difference between the two vehicles, as there shouldn't be since both are based on the same platform - slightly shortened for the Sport - and use the same exact on and off-road technologies. The Sport has a shorter wheelbase, which can be an asset off road (more agile and smaller turning radius) but makes the ride on pavement feel a bit harsher and somewhat "busier" than the LR3/4.

Despite the overall different looks and dimensions, the two vehicles weigh almost exactly the same. The Sport has an edge in on-road handling because it's more compact, comes with lower profile tires and has a bit sportier suspensions setup (especially the Supercharged model with extra ponies, Dynamic Response active sway bars and larger front Brembo brakes), while the LR3/4 offers a more plush and quieter ride, along with acres of extra cargo room of course, at the expense of less crisp handling. Surprisingly, passenger room in the first 2 rows is about the same, but the feeling behind the wheel is completely different between the two vehicles - you have to drive both to appreciate it. On the Sport, you are cocooned inside a cabin that makes you feel like you are in a sports car (some love it, some find it a bit tight and claustrophobic), the LR4 feels like a truck, with plenty of space around you, especially if you are a big and tall guy. A test drive is definitely a good idea.

Off road it's pretty much a tossup, if the two are equipped similarly (as hard as it is to find a LR3/4 with locking rear diff for example, it's almost imppssible to find a Sport with one... It's an option as well, but nobody wants it in that car.) The LR3/4 offers marginally better approach and departure angles, but the Sport makes up for those deficiencies with a shorter wheelbase. The LR4 is a better choice off-road only because of all the extra space, plus it enjoys a lot more aftermarket support than the Sport. But when equipped similarly, neither car offers meaningful advantages over the other off the pavement. They are both hugely capable and you will be able to go anywhere the other one goes.

The new 2014+ Sport is a different animal, if that's what you are comparing then I can't offer an objective opinion, but being a moderator on a Range Rover forum I would caution you that the new platform definitely has quite a few "teething" problems, which are fairly normal for a new platform, especially from Land Rover...

Last edited:

Maca

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.

I would order the HD package so both would be similarly equipped.

Question - it seems the RRS has deeper wading depth rating?

phil1ben

Reaction score
We had decided to buy a LR but were not sure which model to buy. We drove all three -- the RR, RRS and LR4. My wife will be driving it most. Frankly, we settled on the LR4. Here are the reasons:

1. We did not like the poor visibility on the RRS. Rear window is small and blind spot large.
2. We did not like the height of the center console on the RR or the RRS. It just felt tighter to us.
3. We did like the additional headroom in the LR4, storage capacity and better visibility.
4. We did like the design of the RR; particularly the ability to get two tones. We liked the white with black top and panoramic roof.
5. Did have a small concern that the LR4 was being discontinued.
6. So we eliminated the RRS but my wife also thought the RR would be too big to drive around town (i.e. parallel park etc...)
7. Taking the above into account, we did not see the benefit of spending the extra money on the RRS or RR. The dealer was also able to take more off sticker on the LR4 than the other vehicles. That closed the deal.

So we ordered an LR4 HSE in Scotia Grey with all the bells and whistles (and extended 100,000 warranty) which is scheduled to be delivered in the next two weeks. That was our decision making process.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umberto and others have covered the similarities and differences in platform and driving dynamics. All of this weighed into our decision as well. But I would like to add on to Umberto's comments about space/cargo room.

When you say "off road", what do you mean? For us it is about both the driving and the experiences of the outdoors. It is about being able to see what is around us. About having a "platform" to serve as "base camp" for adventures either along the route or when we arrive. Though there may not be much difference in the ability of either vehicle to get your "there", one you are "there" the LR is a more capable platform to operate out of. Whether it is the ability to carry more gear, or carry it in a more accessible manner. Or the ability to open up the rear seats, fold the middle row to serve as a table or workspace and prep your gear, enjoy a meal, change clothes or simply shelter from a sudden storm. Or the ample split tailgate which becomes a good workspace out in the woods. Or simply to enjoy the large windows while taking in the scenery around you. For those who are even more adventuresome you can sleep in the back of the LR4.

(People sometimes ask why empty-nesters like us need a 3rd row - the fact is that it is a very usable 3rd row for adults unlike on the RRS and most mid-size SUVs. So while driving home from a difficult hike/climb yesterday I let my son drive and I sat in the rear seat and used the middle row as a footstool and enjoying the view out the large windows.)

Here are some pics of what I mean.

Now none of this may be important to you. We do live in Colorado so we needed a vehicle that was both great on the highway but could also be a great tool for exploring off road.

Attachments

• IMG_0753.jpg
    IMG_0753.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0258.jpg
    IMG_0258.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0274.jpg
    IMG_0274.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0267.jpg
    IMG_0267.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0310.jpg
    IMG_0310.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 153

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question - it seems the RRS has deeper wading depth rating?

The new L494 RRS platform does indeed have a better wading depth rating, a full 150mm / 6" over the LR3, as the air intakes have been moved up on the upper edges of the front fenders, just under the hood. On the older 2013 model, wading depth is about the same as the LR3/4.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have owned both (I assume you are referring to the "old" L320 RRS and not the new L494 platform that came out in 2014?) There is virtually no difference between the two vehicles, as there shouldn't be since both are based on the same platform - slightly shortened for the Sport - and use the same exact on and off-road technologies. The Sport has a shorter wheelbase, which can be an asset off road (more agile and smaller turning radius) but makes the ride on pavement feel a bit harsher and somewhat "busier" than the LR3/4.

Despite the overall different looks and dimensions, the two vehicles weigh almost exactly the same. The Sport has an edge in on-road handling because it's more compact, comes with lower profile tires and has a bit sportier suspensions setup (especially the Supercharged model with extra ponies, Dynamic Response active sway bars and larger front Brembo brakes), while the LR3/4 offers a more plush and quieter ride, along with acres of extra cargo room of course, at the expense of less crisp handling. Surprisingly, passenger room in the first 2 rows is about the same, but the feeling behind the wheel is completely different between the two vehicles - you have to drive both to appreciate it. On the Sport, you are cocooned inside a cabin that makes you feel like you are in a sports car (some love it, some find it a bit tight and claustrophobic), the LR4 feels like a truck, with plenty of space around you, especially if you are a big and tall guy. A test drive is definitely a good idea.

Off road it's pretty much a tossup, if the two are equipped similarly (as hard as it is to find a LR3/4 with locking rear diff for example, it's almost imppssible to find a Sport with one... It's an option as well, but nobody wants it in that car.) The LR3/4 offers marginally better approach and departure angles, but the Sport makes up for those deficiencies with a shorter wheelbase. The LR4 is a better choice off-road only because of all the extra space, plus it enjoys a lot more aftermarket support than the Sport. But when equipped similarly, neither car offers meaningful advantages over the other off the pavement. They are both hugely capable and you will be able to go anywhere the other one goes.

I always knew the two were on the same platform, but isn't the ride height also lower on the RRS? You compromise ground clearance for more on-road performance in the RRS. That was always what I was led to believe. (On top of what you already pointed out.)

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ride height of the 2006-2013 RRS is lower, but only fractionally, and if the two cars were fitted with the same size tires (the Sport uses lower profile ones out of the factory) the differences would be even more minuscule. From the sales brochures:

2013 LR4 ground clearance: 7.3" standard height, 9.4" off-road height
2013 RRS ground clearance: 6.8" standard height, 9.0" off-road height

Both vehicles offer the same extended and super-extended heights, available if/when you get grounded.

Approach and departure angles are better by a few degrees in the LR4 as well - probably a combination of longer wheelbase with shorter front and rear overhangs and less ground effects (I hated those form-over-function "miniskirt" appendages at the bottom of the doors of my 2006 RRS, which even with the protection from the RS rock sliders made the footprint of the Sport unnecessarily wider by several inches compared to the slimmer LR3/4.) But again, the differences are really not as large as most people think. The Sport is a very capable off-roader, it's just that most owners don't "dress" it that way after they buy it, which in turn means there is very little aftermarket support for it in the way of underbody protection, bumpers, etc. Plenty of lowering links, 22" wheels and aero body kits of questionable taste, though.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM