'03 SE That Could (Update - Coolant, Misfire)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McIntoshFloyd

Reaction score
So I posted some time ago and now I have major issues. I've read a few of the recent posts and seen some of the same type issues.

I bought an '03 SE with +61K mi in mid December from a very reputable Ford Dealership in the Bay Area. I had a check engine light that came on following a rough start in mid January. I consulted my mechanic and he said that it wasn't dire given the symptoms. The light went off and stayed off for about a week. It clicked back on about a week later on a Friday and on Tuesday night it went from normal running temps to over heating within an instant. I was alone on my road and I punched it. Turned on the heat and the gauge went limp. Added coolant in the morning and went to the grocery store nearest to get more coolant. Made it home fine and then on my way back out it overheated again. Had it towed to the mechanic. Total of 5 miles after the initial overheat were run.

Blown Head Gasket. The quote for that work alone is $25-3500. There isn't any leak or pressure problem in the cooling system. My mechanic has consulted with the local Rover dealerships and they let him know about a design flaw. If it overheated before and damaged the cylinder liner, the cylinder would be stopping short and sipping coolant continuously. The larger fear is that at least the short block is done now.

Wisdom please.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I hate to say this, but with an all aluminum block and aluminum heads when it over heats if you don't shut it down almost instantly you will cook it. Then the cost just go up from there... same issue with BMW's.

This is the major reason you should check fluid levels weekly at minimum, and daily if you notice issues.

Disco Squared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. I thought they fixed the slipped liner issue on the newer models by swedging the liner to the block(?)

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The slipped liner issue will normally be resolved by swedging, but it doesn't help if it has been over heated.

99d2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take a deep breath.

A blown head gasket but no coolant issue? Can you have your mechanic perform a leak-down test and find which cylinder(s) can't hold pressure? How was a blown head gasket determined to be the problem?
Your overheating issue could be as simple as having a defective viscous drive on the fan or an air bubble in the system. Unfortunately, neither of these ailments is uncommon---but on the plus side, they are both vastly cheaper to fix than tearing the engine apart.

tempestv8

Reaction score
Hmmm. I thought they fixed the slipped liner issue on the newer models by swedging the liner to the block(?)

I don't believe that Land Rover ever produced a Rover V8 with the top hat liners.

So the Rover V8 motor, whatever the model year, is suceptible to a cylinder liner slippage if overheated.

Unfortunately, my first hand experience was that my motor slipped a liner even though it did not overheat, but there was air trapped somewhere in the cooling system. Had to get a new block.

I'm not terribly ecstatic about that.

Lawrance Lee
'99 DII V8 auto with 190,000 kms
slipped liner on cylinder #5
now with a 4.6 block with top hat liners
lots poorer :help:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member