~14.88 Voltage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Parker Freeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greeting everybody, I've noticed in the last few days that my ECM voltage is hovering right around 14.8 to 14.9. that seems high doesn't it? I did just install a new H8 AGM battery a few weeks back. I did a full charge prior to putting it in the truck. This also seems to happen more during colder days.

Thoughts?

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think my voltage is generally 14.xV when the engine is on. Not sure about ECM voltage specifically - I’m just talking charging system voltage.

maxx4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just swapped to an AGM last year and notice that my voltage ranges in the 14.x range with a max of 14.8 (at least from what I've noticed). Seems perfectly normal (note I'm running an LR3 but platform wise probably still applicable). I've noticed that when the variable voltage recharge system kicks in (when batts are close to full) these voltages will drop to 13.5 to 13.9...thought that was a bit weird but I've never had an issue with the batts or cold starts so guess thats just one of the oddities of the system. Hope that helps a little.

RSeanV

Reaction score
When you change the battery, you need to reset the BMS (Battery Monitoring System) using SSD diagnostic equipment otherwise the BMS will try & charge the new battery at the same rate as the old one.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will settle down. Everytime you disconnect the battery the "smart charging" takes a bit to re-adjust. There has been much discussion on this forum over the terribly lame charging system on these trucks that patently refuse to fully charge our batteries.

Enjoy the 14.88 while you have it.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Conventional voltage regulators will have the output voltage higher when cold, and drift downward when the alternator is fully hot. I don't know how "smart" the LR4 smart charging is, but if you notice higher voltages when cold, or in very cold ambients, that might be part of the reason. See if the voltages trend down next summer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM