18’ wheel suggestions for my black 2010 LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Natassia

Reaction score
Hey, I've been running TuffAnt 18" steel wheels for almost 2 years now (see profile pic). There's been zero negative impact on performance, in fact with better rubber I would argue there is greater performance, however there is an impact on fuel economy of around 10%. My pictured tire is the Hankook RF11 265/65/18's which is a nice all terrain tire, but am now running with a Hercules Terra Trac II, also all terrain. But I digress... there are definite benefits and considerations when weighing up steel vs alloy.

Steel is heavier and look 'purposeful', but as others have mentioned, when dented you can repair yourself off-road with a hammer (not pretty but does the job to get you home), and they can be professionally repaired when you're back in town. They are also more affordable.

Alloy, is lighter, look 'prettier', but they do not dent/warp, they crack. So when they go they go and they cannot be repaired beyond scrapes and gutter rash and are more expensive.

Bark

Reaction score
I’m looking to fit 265 65R 18 Nitto Grappler G2’s on my LR4 and was wonder if anyone had any good suggestions of rims that aren’t hideous to look at and that actually match the nuts and bolts pattern on my car. I’m looking for a black 18’ not flashy but look tough and show that I’m not a mall runner.

4WD1.com in Sydney, Australia, sell the Moab 18x8 alloy wheels to suit the LR4 (Discovery 4 in some markets).
The Moabs are good-looking, are a perfect fit, and the tough, yet smooth, design (in black only) makes them easy to clean after a day on the trail.
The original wheel nuts are a perfect fit. The guys at 4WD1 developed the wheels using their own LR4 , so they know what it's all about. They can arrange freight to almost anywhere in the world.

sailor96

Reaction score
There's another option that does not require spacers:
Evo Corse DakarZero 18x8.5
Not cheap at $370 per

Size: width 8.5”, diameter 18”.
- Material: Aluminium A356 alloy with heat treatment T6 and low pressure cast in steel permanent mould.

- Load Rating: 1,300kg per wheel.
- Nut fixing: steel insert.
- Color: silver, gold, anthracite, and matte black.
- Coupled spokes design in order to emphasize the strength without compromise the weight and allow an easier job for mechanics during wheel substitutions.
- Strong spokes for heavy off-road use. Air valve protected from mud and stones.designed even for heaviest off-road use: ideal for desert and technical track.
- Designed for the new rules FIA T1 e T2 !
- Weight starting from 13.5 kg.

https://www.mainlineoverland.com/co...e-dakarzero-18x8-5-land-rover-lr4-5x120-et-35

wallyyfm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m in the same position I think I’m just going to deactivate all tpms with the gap tool. And the parking sensors for that matter.

My tuffants arrive tomorrow. I will be reading about the threads for what tire. I have terra grapplers at the moment, might try the ridge grapplers.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the Land Rover Defender 18" steel wheels on mine. I could have used the stock TPMS, but I did not think I'd care for the look of the silver, metal TPMS stems with the white steel wheels. So, I deactivated the TPMS, thinking I'd look for some black rubber TPMS sensors that would work. I haven't done that yet, though.

For tires, I posted my thoughts here:

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tuffant used to have two offset options in the steelies for the LR4. I was told one of the two offsets would likely accomodate the TPMS (can’t remember which one anymore). On either, you can use a steel strap around the center of the wheel to hold the tpms. I ultimately went with compos (which handle the stock TPMS), so never looked into it any further.

wallyyfm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll be honest I just don’t need TPMS because with these I can see airing them down in the dunes and it would just get annoying anyway. I’m going to deactivate those and all parking sensors.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up deactivating the tpms system a long time ago. The LR4 system is not very good and doesn't allow you to see individual tire pressures, so it was more annoying than useful.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut