18 or 20 inch wheel offset question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EIGHTLUG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the most offset that can be run without any "major" scrubbing. Will an 18X9, 0 offset wheel work or will the lip be too wide? I'm still searching for a set of 18's and possibly 20's for off road wheels but it seems every wheel manufacturer thinks Land Rovers are strictly street vehicles. Leaving the aftermarket choices to be less than desirable.

I ran a set of KMC XD HOSS wheels on our Super Duty. Loved the wheels. I'd like to fit a set of KMC MISFITS on the LR3 in matte black, if possible. From KMC's website, it looks like they only offer the wheels in 18"/20" zero offset 9" wide wheel.... Any thoughts?

KMCMisfit.png

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My best advice would be to stick with LR rims. They will fit the best and they have a sort of built-in beadlock. I don't know that you'd be able to tell if a 0 offset rim would work until you mount it. Also with a 20" rim you're going to be quite limited in terms of tire choices, and even if you find something with a nice tread pattern for wheelin' it's still going to have inadequate sidewall.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Offset is affected by rim width not diameter..Therefore you would need to find the rim width you want. Stock offset for an 8" wheel is 53mm. Offset is the differance between the wheel centerline and the face of the hub. For this reason you can see how you would want to alter the offset based on rim width and needed clearance. FYI if the stock wheels had a zero offset that would be the equivalent of running them with a 2" spacer between the wheel and hub....

Tire Rack Explanation

phraxos5

Reaction score
big wheels

I have kmc 20's with 285/55 r20 bfg ta/ko
they are 32.4 and will only work with the johnson rods lift plus frame cutting and plating. I did this for @150$ and I am very happy. No more frame rubbing and the weld and plate look better than before because that corner is cut off and a flat plate is in its place. Land Rover ok'ed the mod and I am very happy with the wheels and tires. They go over anything!
good luck

phraxos5

Reaction score
here is a pic check my prof too.

Attachments

• IMG_0253.jpg
    IMG_0253.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_0256.jpg
    IMG_0256.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_0257.jpg
    IMG_0257.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to admit it actually looks decent however I still wouldn't recommend that mod to anyone because the tires will rub at full stuff and on the bump stops.......Love the color combo though...If I were in the market for an LR4 thats the color I would buy!

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, sweet color combo!

after blowing a CV in the middle of nowhere in moab, i have been very apprehensive of putting on bigger tires that won't clear at the bump stomps. i love the comforts of the air suspension, but trust it about as much as i do a politican. i think the 265/65/18 BFG TAKO and the 285/60/18 cooper zeons are the best/safest/capable options for taking the LR3 offroad. for me, the bigger tires are too much of a risk on long trips. if i was trailering my LR3 to offroading destinations, it might be a different story.

EIGHTLUG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, basically what you're saying is that the 18X9's will most likely fit at zero offset, with a 285/60/18 tire that's only 31.5" tall. I'm shrinking an inch of diameter from what you're running and have what looks like the same offset as your KMC MONSTERS. Maybe a Rod Mod, but all in all it's feasible.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112