1974 light weight top end speed hesitation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

archerjc

I have owned a discovery 96 and a range rover 98 in the past. I have now purchased a 1974 series III lightweight orginal left hand drive. I love this Landy. I get lots of looks a very easy to work on.
I do have one problem with her right now. She cranks great and idles fine runs great around town at about 35-40 mph but once I take her into 4th gear and go to top end speed about 60-65 mph she will shake and lose speed. She will go down to 40 mph and will not come back to speed unless I am on a straight a way or down hill. I think that it is a fuel problem I have changed the spark plugs and fuel filter to the carb. Has helped some but still hesitating at top end speed once on a small incline or hill. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Chris Archer

H

Hampus

Isn't there a second fuel filter after the tank? Else it sounds like a carb problem. Try uphills in all the gears at the same RPM as in 4th gear at 60mph. Check for vacuum leaks. My old Ford Mustang did the same thing. Ran great until I tried to rev it up, then it just died. Was a vacuum leak on the intake manifold.

It might just be that the carb needs tuning.

/Hampus

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72