2000 disco 2 problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

King_Richard

Reaction score
I just bought a 2000 discovery II and i am in love with it. There are only two problems that are bothering me.

1. Half the time it starts half the time it doesnt. It starts the best when i turn the key as little as possible. I thouhgt it was the battery terminals but i cleaned them and it still is having problems started. I also thought it was the ground wire so i cleaned that. Next i thought maybe the the transmssion saftey switches but i tested and that is not it. The only other thing i can think of it a loose wire but i can not find out where it woudl be comming from. Probably need to get it looked at?

2. This has happened a few times in the past few weeks. I start driving the disco and for hte first quater mile maybe it wont let me go fast then about 15 miles an hour. I can feel the car trying to shift or something but doesnt work. I can give it gas and the revs go up fine. then after about like i said a quater mile things get into place and it works fine. My dad said he put some special chemical into the gas to clean the fuel injectors but that was over a month ago so i dont think that is it. Im not sure what is going on. Maybe low transmission fluid? Please let me know what you guys think.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Item 1 = you say it will not start, does it turn over or do nothing when this issue happens? (sounds like a bad battery)

Item 2 = again could be a bad battery or depending on the last tune up plugs/wires or even fuel pump...

Since this is your first post please help us out by providing mileage, last tune up, what was done on the last tune up, type of plugs used, any other issues or fixes that have been done recently.

All this may help to find your current issue.

King_Richard

Reaction score
my 2000 disco has 125,000 miles. i just bought it abotu a month ago knowing that there were leaking problems but i fixed those. other than that i doubt it has been tuned up recently. i did aslo, however, put in a new battery becasue the one i that came with it when i bought it was faulty. so the battery should be up to par. the nose it makes when it doenst start isnt a clicking noise liek when the battery is flat. when it doenst start it doenst make the noise of it trying ot turn over. its a kind of noise like one stedys noise before it is suppose to turn over. but when it does start which is sometiems only a min after it doenst start then it jsut sounds normal it turns over and starts up fine. i dont know whats going on

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would have the battery and all the cables check.. could be a ground issue (new battery or not, it could still be the issue).

Could also be corrosion in the fuse box.

King_Richard

Reaction score
Thanks a lot. I've tried to look for loose wires and corrosion but since its a Rover I don't have quite the skills to get to the starter and everything :) I'm getting it looked at this friday though so I am pretty excited. I love this beast.

bleizit

Reaction score
I would invest in the Rave CD which will have all the info and specs for your vehicle. They're pretty cheap and certainly worth the money! Check out ebay... mine cost $15 delivered! I've only found one error (location and color of fuel pump relay).

King_Richard

Reaction score
UHH! Ok so i took it to the shop and it needed a new starter. They put one in. It took a week for the new starter to get here to i was pretty happy when i finally got it back a couple days ago. Everything seemed normal the past two days untill about an hour ago. I was going to drive home from my friends house. I tried to start it and it was a really rough start and then my rover started to shake pretty hard and i thought it was going to blow up or something. The manual and sport mode gear lights were both blinking. I pressed the mode button and nothing happened. I repeated that process of starting it a few times because I didn't think it would be safe to drive. The situation did not get better and i decided just to try and drive it home which was only about 3 miles away. I drove it home going only about 25 mph the whole way in fear that it was going to blow up. The whole time I was driving home the mode gear lights on the dash kept blinking and so did the little "D" (for drive) on the dash. I made it home safley but don't think I should drive it tomorrow. What should I do? What is the problem? I'm lost. Someone please help me.

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Runnin rough.

By any chance was this you before it ran rough ?

http://www.landroverworld.org/gallery/showimage.php?i=216&catid=popimages&orderby=views

Just kidding.......

It could be alot of things to be honest. It's obviously electrical.

What was some of the last things done to the vehicle ? and when ?

Do you have any further info ?

It sounds to me like a power supply connection open circuit or a ground issue.

you can try re seating all fuses this sometimes helps.

Could be a crank sensor or maf, Are any check engine lights on ?

Let us know................ Chongo :bandit:

King_Richard

Reaction score
I think it is definitely electrical too. The most recent things i have done: put in a new battery, clean the termanals and ground wire, and get a new starter put in. Yes the check engine light is on and sometimes it blinks for about a min at startup but usually not. This morning when I tried to move it abotu 30 feet from the end of my drive way to the top it kept dying and lots of weird electrical tings were happinign (gas gage was moving around, it was still running when i took out the keys, m &s were flashing, the battery light was on). I'm wondering if maybe they put the starter in wrong or something?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72