2010/2011 LR4 Android "Integration" Idea for Streaming music with Android

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pearsth

Reaction score
So, I am in the market for a used LR4 and have been researching the heck on the pros and cons of each model year. For reasons of budget and personal preference, I am going with an earlier model with a V8.

I had been focusing in on 2012/2013 due to improvements in Navigation and Audio systems, but have been leaning towards a low mileage 2011 to save 5-10k.

To me, the downside of the 2011 is the Navigation and the lack of bluetooth streaming. For the Navigation, I probably don't care as I have Navigation in both my current cars but use the much better apps on my android anyway.

However, bluetooth streaming and lack of audio UI and steering wheel control integration is a real bummer for things like Spotify and Pandora. I know people have gotten around this with a few different approaches (bluetooth adapter on the IPOD input, and bluetooth adapter on aux jack on back of center console), but neither of those take advantage of the UI on the screen or the steering wheel controls. I also don't want a cable sticking out the back of the console.

So, I came up with this idea that I will employ if I get a 2011 and I thought this group might appreciate it and help answer a question.

I will purchase an old iPod Touch for $30-$40 off eBay and turn on the WiFi hotspot on my android and let the iPod Touch run Spotify or Pandora via WiFi. This way I can stream just like I owned an iPhone. I could also load it up with music, but I don't tend to do that anyway since I subscribe to Spotify and it plays anything I want on demand.

This is, of course, assuming that Spotify and Pandora do work as I expect on the UI and Steering Wheel integration (display music info and allow to skip tracks, etc). Can somebody confirm?

Thanks,

Tom

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure I completely understood your proposed solution. What is the interface between the iPod Touch and your LR's audio system? It's not possible to "fool" the LR's telephone BT interace into playing music if that's your thinking...I tried before going with one of the BT/AUX back-of-console solutions which has worked flawlessly for me.

Also was not sure what the benefit is of using your Android device as a wifi hotspot. Why not just run Spotify/Pandora directly from your phone in that case? (not that it would work) Sorry if I missed an obvious angle in your solution. I had the exact same conundrum in my 2011 but a wifi hookup was never a feasible solution for me.

PS: OK, on second read-through I get it. Your solution would allow you to use the proprietary 30-pin cable as the Touch's interface. However, can't speak to how the LR's touch display would support those apps' interfaces. I have an old iPhone and if I get a chance will give it a try in my garage where I can feed the phone with my home wifi network.

Last edited:

pearsth

Reaction score
Yep...you got it! Thanks for giving it a try.

I am looking at a 2011 LR LUX in Nara Bronze and the price is right. I am luke warm on the Nara Bronze, I really want a white LR4 rover to go along with my 95

Attachments

• rover2.jpg
    rover2.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 35

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pearsth, it works, but it is extremely rudimentary and not a satisfying user experience in the least. Yes, Spotify will play through the 30-pin connection using the "iPod" source button. You can adjust volume up/down via the steering wheel controls. You can also advance and go back between tracks, or hold those respective buttons to shuttle forward or rewind a given track. Song info shows up on the display in 3 modes: song title, band name, band name+genre. I tried the "Track Listing" button to see if it would display the Spotify playlist but I gave up after waiting a few minutes.

I have attached a few shots of the display. IMO it is not a workable solution because navigating Spotify/Pandora would require you to still handle the Touch and fumble with it while it is tethered to that short, stiff cable with your console lid flipped up. OTOH, if you have your playlists all teed up and simply let it play, it could work.

PS: I have been a longtime advocate of the Kinivo BTC450 Bluetooth device. It does connect through the rear of the console but uses a smallish L-shaped plug into the AUX port and the power adapter has a pass-through USB slot that can be used by passengers in the rear. Honestly it is rare that I have passengers in my LR4 but I have never had an issue with the cables getting snagged or yanked out. For about $30 it may help you even if it's only a stopgap solution. I use this interface exclusively now for both music/podcast/audio streaming as well as phone calls. My .02!

Attachments

• IMG_4864.jpg
    IMG_4864.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4865.jpg
    IMG_4865.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4868.jpg
    IMG_4868.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

pearsth

Reaction score
Thanks...really appreciate you doing this. Proves my theory, but to your point, would be a pain to choose songs. Maybe an extension cable could help?

I have three kids and they destroyed the DC plug in the same spot on my Honda pilot. That is why I am not excited about that option.

Last edited:

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe an extension cable could help?

I have three kids and they destroyed the DC plug in the same spot on my Honda pilot. That is why I am not excited about that option.

That's a thought (an extension). Better yet, if they made an adapter cable that was 30-pin female on one end and Android-friendly on the other end, maybe you could skip the iPod Touch. However, I have heard that the proprietary cable can be finicky even with Apple devices so it might be a waste of time and $$.

I hear you about the fun of little ones in the car. Mine are both in college now but some of the damage they inflicted on past vehicles was incredible. Laugh and enjoy these fleeting days!

Also neglected to give you props on the sweet Disco!

pearsth

Reaction score
I looked into that. The closest I found was a Bluetooth adapter that plugs into the ipod adapter and can at least stream audio. However, nothing else works like steering wheel controls, etc. That is what I do in the white disco. I just have a mount on my phone and use a Bluetooth adapter connected to the casette tape adapter. That way i at least keep the wires clean

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM