2010-2013 LR4 HSE Lux Horse towing and aftermarket off road installs.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlonesty

Reaction score
Anyone use a shop in Seattle for aftermarket off road accessories? If so, where? Also, a mechanic in Seattle would be great. The only ones I know of are the dealers and Bigg's Eastside.

Also anyone towing a horse trailer? If so, please advise as to model, and equipment you use.

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife tows her horse a lot. Lr4 does great. Not sure type of trailer, pretty standard smaller dual axle rear ramp load. Just make sure you get brake controller and use the trailers eletric brakes.

dlonesty

Reaction score
Hey stufrowin...What is the LR4 you have? Also, does it have 2 speed transfer case? Do you use LR hitch and drawbar kit? Do you use a brake controller?
What kind of trailer? Do you go over the western US passes with the truck and horses? Do you have a transmission cooler?
I have the 2 speed transfer case, a brake controller, the LR hitch and drawbar kit. I also have a WDH (weight distribution hitch) that Mann's told me I needed it. However, I have read that using a WDH may compromise the suspension system.
LR Bellevue told me, if I go over the passes, I will need a transmission cooler.

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your never going to get a consensus on all of your questions. I have a 2011 LR4 base, as far as I know all LR4 have a stock Auxillary transmission cooler. I have the 2 speed transfer case but that doesn't matter for highway towing. We do use a weight distribution hitch towing our toy hauler(not a lot of tension), haven't used it with the horse trailer (but I would think it could help). I know LR/range rover sponsors dressage and my wife loves to show up in it to her LR4, but the reality is its not a full size truck. Can you do it.. sure. We do and yes use a brake controller with the electric brakes on trailer. We use the LR hitch receiver.

We towed our toy hauler up to mammoth mountain about 9,000ft elevation I used my GAP tool to monitor transmission temp and on a couple of the summits it spiked to over 220.

If your going to be towing a lot with it I would frequently change transmission fluid and monitor the oil temp if possible. Our gas mileage towing up hill averages about 6-7mpg, my suggestion would be use a superduty for long hauls and the LR for around town towing if possible.

I don't know what the future holds but I'd say its safe to say towing makes the car work a lot harder.. Expect less life and more maintenance.

WDH with air suspension ...encyclopedias are written debating it ad infinitum..good luck..we do it.

BznLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2011 LR4 HSE Lux does a very nice job of pulling a 2 horse trailer with electric brakes, using the OEM hitch. However, I definitely feel the weight. Going up a long steep winding gravel driveway I appreciated low range and traction control, but it handled just fine. I wouldn't want to pull a 3 or 4 horse trailer. It would probably be fine as long as everything went well...but in an emergency situation (some idiot pulls in front, avoiding a deer, etc) I'm not confident it would end well. Pulling horses is different than inanimate loads; you've got live animals back there, presumably your friends. Tipping over an inanimate load sucks, tipping over a horse trailer would be tragic. Of course there is the additional factor that live animals move around, requiring extra stability from the haul vehicle.

Dryflyrod

Reaction score
I have an LR3 and pull a two horse trailer (Trailswest) I installed an after market CURTS hitch. The Rover hitch tongue weight is only rated to 500 lbs. The CURTs is rated to 800lbs. Make sure you check the tongue weight of your trailer. I'm in Vancouver WA. Kings Cross is the best independent shop in this area. I've been using then foe about 5 years now. Great work at a very reasonable price!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72