2010 HSE LR4's 2nd Fuel pump replacement in less than 6 months.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shehab

Reaction score
Hello everyone, hope you're having a nice day!

As mentioned above my (Petrol) LR4 had a new (Original) fuel pump fitted to it less than 6 months ago and it's already starting to fail on me and stopping the car in the meddle of the road blocking other cars (AND THAT"S EMBARRASSING!) and the mechanic in our local Land Rover agency said "It's due to the Unleaded gasoline which is causing the pump to heat up".

And unleaded fuel is the only fuel we have here where I live (in Yemen) thanks to the war Saudi Arabia's having with us.

Also, the pump starts failing under some certain conditions, like, if the tank has only 20 liters or less and I get stuck in a traffic jam or I use the car for more than 3 hours nonstop (Adding 10 liters usually fixes the problem but for a short period of time).

Even if the tank is two thirds full, after 3 hours I start to notice coughs from the engine and I'd have to park and let the pump cool down (Been told by the mechanic). Sometimes I'm 10 miles away from my house and take 35 mints to get there.

And if you're gonna ask me why not keep the tank full? It's because you'd have to pay almost 45$ for 20 liters of gasoline and that's too much.

The car runs fine when I start it first thing in the morning and use it for a near-by errand, regardless of how much fuel I have in the tank.

Now, I'll need you're export opinion if the "Heat due to Unleaded gasoline and small amount of fuel" is true and that Land Rover didn't put unleaded fuel in mind when started designing the car.

PLEASE!! Forgive my poor English and grammar mistakes (I'm Arabian) and thank you in advance.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although the engine will run more efficiently with premium unleaded, it's been designed to adjust detonations automatically for regular grade unleaded fuel - which is why premium is "Recommended" and not "Required". Unless you get a batch of bad / contaminated fuel (which is definitely a possibility in some countries, I guess), you shouldn't have any issues other than perhaps some light knocking under load, slightly reduced power and fuel economy, by using regular unleaded instead of premium. I've had to use it myself a few times when the gas station didn't have any premium available, no problem.

Do you get any faults when the car stalls? Have they checked throttle body and MAF sensors to make sure they aren't dirty? Carbon buildup can also be an issue with these DI engines - especially when using poor quality fuel - perhaps get a fuel induction service done and put some good quality detergent in the next tankful of gas.

Shehab

Reaction score
First off, let me thank you for replying,

And second, from what I know about the Land Rover Agency we have here I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't know about half of the things you listed that they should've checked.

But what I've noticed was when the car stalls under their calm "Overheated Pump" and I pour like 10 liters of petrol into the tank, the car starts ruining again for a short while before it stalls again. They say "that keeping the tank full helps cooling down the pump" IS THAT TRUE?!

Also, one thing I forgot to mention before was that the engine in my car is a 4.0L V6, thought you should know about it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9