2010 LR4 LCA replacement...... drive shaft pain :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air hammer would not budge it?? Had to reinstall the LCA minus the one bushing where I had cut the bolt out. Not a great result. Getting it towed to my mechanic on Monday to let him sort it out........

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Silly question but. You are pulling the hub towards you slightly while you’re using the air hammer right?

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. So if you pull the hub towards you about 2-3” then you should be able to drive it out.
The inner spline of the drive shaft essentially floats inside the front differential as the hub articulates up and down.

Anyway. Pull it out a bit then try.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By now the thread on the end of the shaft is compromised, so either needs recutting or a new drive shaft at this point. I am getting past the point of caring

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your mechanic is careful he’ll be able to dress up the thread, with a needle file or thread file. There’s maybe 2 or 3 threads clear of the hub nut when it’s up to torque. Fingers crossed.

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
“Do you mean do not disengage the shaft totally from the knuckle, or make sure the other end of the shaft does not disengage? I think the latter?”

Yes the latter.

with regards to the air hammer. It’ll be the best 80 bucks you spend for that job. Literally takes seconds to push out the drive shaft with no damage.
That would be the old CP made in the USA not the rebirth CP name made in Chyna. IR compressors included now Chyna rubbish. I paid $473 for a CP air chisel 37 years ago, it still kicks **** able to destroy anything given a little time. Compressors also now imports vs the 5 Hp Saylor Beall with pressure lubed pump head, 2 stage 17.6 CFM still proudly made in America. It will outlive me and my son.
Like the Hein Werner WS commercial grade 1 1/2 ton floor jacks (US made) living off the name but now from Chyna at 1/10 the quality and 1/2 the lifting capacity not tr4usted lifting a Honda Civic. Wrenching for a living (aviation) requires quality equipmenrt and tools. God help you you need them owning a LR and a DIY wrench....~~=o&o>......

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA