2010 LR4 Off-road wheel and tire options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The D4 is SOOO good at most things you can throw at it nobody needs to cut, grind, lift,, fit spacers or any major mods.
Don't spoil a great vehicle!!
By far the best option is to leave as much alone as possible & simply fit the best 18" wheels you can buy. That's the U.K. made Compomotive. They are about the most expensive wheel option, but are the strongest, best-made wheel
available in my opinion. No mods are required to fit them with BFG A/T KO2's in 265/60 X 18's . If you go up one size to 265/65 you cannot fit a fully-inflated spare in the standard mount & some D4's experience some rubbing.
I've found the 265/60 is brilliant on rocky, rutted tracks with excellent sidewall protection even when aired-down. I've not
been in a situation yet where I wished I'd gone for the slightly taller sidewall on the "65".
The KO 2's in my opinion are the best available A/T for our flinty, rocky tracks in central Australia like The Flinders Ranges, which are infamous for sidewall punctures & can be hundreds of kms from getting a tire replaced. They are much more popular here than Cooper's & any of the Asian brands.
I've driven around Moab , but not in a D4. But with what I've seen there I reckon I'd go for KO 2's if I lived there.
I say this as a Compomotive owner, but one of the options, the Italian made ones IIRC, do have a higher load rating than the Compos.

My wife agrees with your other comments, but the sawzall has to eat...;)

RandyLove

Reaction score
Not really benefiting the conversation here, just sharing:
My TuffAnt Kimberley rims (smoked grey) should be arriving tomorrow. I'm pretty stoked, although I'm not in a huge hurry to get the stock 19" rims off my 2013 LR4 since there's plenty of tread left on the Falken Wild Peak AT Trail tires that are on there now. I plan on taking my time and picking the right tires for these 18s and will eventually install a swing-out tire carrier, so placing the tire underneath the vehicle won't be a factor in my decision.

Kimberley Specs:
- Weight: 13.7kg
- Load Rating: 1500kg
- Offset: ET29
- Size: 18" x 8"

One of the five rims came in today and I think it looks great. I need to remain patient and use up the tread on those 19's :)

20220714_152254.jpg

Last edited:

FC-DG

Reaction score
Randy would love to see a photo when mounted with details of
* tire selection
* wheel fitment experience.

Wheels look GREAT!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really benefiting the conversation here, just sharing:
My TuffAnt Kimberley rims (smoked grey) should be arriving tomorrow. I'm pretty stoked, although I'm not in a huge hurry to get the stock 19" rims off my 2013 LR4 since there's plenty of tread left on the Falken Wild Peak AT Trail tires that are on there now. I plan on taking my time and picking the right tires for these 18s and will eventually install a swing-out tire carrier, so placing the tire underneath the vehicle won't be a factor in my decision.

Kimberley Specs:
- Weight: 13.7kg
- Load Rating: 1500kg
- Offset: ET29
- Size: 18" x 8"

One of the five rims came in today and I think it looks great. I need to remain patient and use up the tread on those 19's :)

View attachment 22398

I missed this when you first posted it. Those are certainly some of the better looking aftermarket wheels that are out there.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The D4 is SOOO good at most things you can throw at it nobody needs to cut, grind, lift,, fit spacers or any major mods.
Don't spoil a great vehicle!!
By far the best option is to leave as much alone as possible & simply fit the best 18" wheels you can buy. That's the U.K. made Compomotive. They are about the most expensive wheel option, but are the strongest, best-made wheel
available in my opinion. No mods are required to fit them with BFG A/T KO2's in 265/60 X 18's . If you go up one size to 265/65 you cannot fit a fully-inflated spare in the standard mount & some D4's experience some rubbing.
I've found the 265/60 is brilliant on rocky, rutted tracks with excellent sidewall protection even when aired-down. I've not
been in a situation yet where I wished I'd gone for the slightly taller sidewall on the "65".
The KO 2's in my opinion are the best available A/T for our flinty, rocky tracks in central Australia like The Flinders Ranges, which are infamous for sidewall punctures & can be hundreds of kms from getting a tire replaced. They are much more popular here than Cooper's & any of the Asian brands.
I've driven around Moab , but not in a D4. But with what I've seen there I reckon I'd go for KO 2's if I lived there.

I agree it is good stock, and honestly, probably suits most people's uses just fine, but if you really push the thing, there is simply no substitute for tire diameter.

I'm on 33's now, and my next set will be 35's, but I'm long past the point of being shy about taking a sawz-all to it.

The glaring weakness in the aftermarket for these trucks is an option to re-gear them for larger tires. Much above 32, and the gearing becomes noticeable.

RandyLove

Reaction score
I missed this when you first posted it. Those are certainly some of the better looking aftermarket wheels that are out there.
Thanks ryanjl,

I finally got the new Tuffant Kimberley 18x8 rims (running BFG TA KO2 285/60/R18s) installed along with 1.5" lift rods from Johnson Rods, and I think she looks great.

Here a video with the vehicle set to off-road height:

Last edited:

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For some reason those tires look way bigger than mine, even though they are more or less the same diameter and a little bit wider.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I agree it is good stock, and honestly, probably suits most people's uses just fine, but if you really push the thing, there is simply no substitute for tire diameter.

I'm on 33's now, and my next set will be 35's, but I'm long past the point of being shy about taking a sawz-all to it.

The glaring weakness in the aftermarket for these trucks is an option to re-gear them for larger tires. Much above 32, and the gearing becomes noticeable.
I'm pretty much on the same page with you here. Re-gearing would be amazing for anything bigger than 32"! I'm on 33s too and I found that you can manipulate the gearing software to make it run "better".

I used my Gap IID Tool to change the "Tyre Size MSB - IPC" to 30 and my speedometer was spot on. It's not intuitive where you think setting it to 33 would be 33" tires. Patrick mentioned that it's quite the opposite, moving down from 31 to 30 fixed my issue.

1665418619380.png

The second part that worked for me was clearing adaptation on the transmission, but it's not for everyone. It will have to relearn all the shifting points, so, the first few drives will have some weird shifting behaviors and you'll just have to deal with it by using slow and steady gas pedal movements. After that, it felt like night/day trying to spin these heavy tires.

1665418789517.png

San Moritz LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I think the Alphas are the best-looking 18" I've seen. I run BFG TA KO2 in LT275/65R18 with about 1" lift on the air suspension from the Gap IID Tool. No spacers, but I did have to cut the frame horns to clear the tires, and trimmed the calipers ever so slightly to fit the 18" wheels (could almost call it a sanding). I went with the BFG for a decent balance of road manners and dry dirt off-roading, but I'm sure something more aggressive would be better for mud. Originally, I didn't want to have to cut the frame horns, but I drove on 31" with stock 19" rims for about a year, and I was constantly obsessing over having something larger. So I eventually bit the bullet and the did the mod and I haven't looked back since.

LOL - Yup, looks like I went down that same path. I opted for the Compomotive 18" wheels (PD1880) and BFG T/A KO2 265/65R18. But, I really wanted to put some 33" shoes on the rig. And like you, I bit the bullet and cut the frame horns and welded in a patch. No looking back now, the deed is done! I am now running M/T Baja Boss A/T 275/65R18.

Last edited:

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel good about the 280/75/18 geolanders on my compos. Running 30mm spacers and have taken care of any rubbing by dropping the rig to the bump stops and sizing everything. Lots of cutting, grinding, relocating, checking ...all worth it. I also had all the prereqs done for bigger tires so it was just the minor rubbing that I had to fix.
PXL_20230416_234114017~2.jpg

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA