2011 LR4 Misfire/rough idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My rover did that too. One day had a bad misfire and, after clearing codes and messing with the harness, it ran well again for about a week. Then, the misfire returned. I did the plugs first. Then, the coils--misfire still there. Finally, replaced the injectors and that is what solved it. To be honest, I should have known it was the injectors by how high the fuel trims were, but.... I can be an idiot sometimes.

If you have a couple of minutes, I would call Atlantic British and see if they can give you the Bosch interchange number. Then, Google that number to find the exact Bosch injector for your ride.

Tis the season for issues I guess. Maybe try finding a gas station that Haas 100% gas (no ethanol) and run that through your Chrysler. It will rule out bad gas

my guy was ready to change injectors but could not do it for a couple of weeks, I had some doubt as it has been driving perfectly since he checked it and cleared codes. So now I brought it to local land rover dealer to get diagnosed. Been sitting there 2 days now without them looking at it, pathetic. I did see the bosch injectors online for as low as $85 each and I know a guy that cleans carbs and also said he cleans injectors quite often for a Land rover dealer- so I guess they clean them and put them back in sometimes. The genuine LR injectors are expensive. Oh well will wait and see. Funny now my kids chrysler had misfires- changing plugs tomorrow. Coincidence but gas purchased at separate times.

rolledover

Reaction score
I recently did injectors on the passenger side to try and cure a Cylinder 7 misfire and rough idle. I bought the Bosch OEM ones from eeuroparts.com for 72.49 each, which was the cheapest price I've seen.

Reaction score
update, on the 3rd day the LR dealer checked the truck, charged me the 1 hour fee- $200 and recommended, fuel injectors, spark plugs and the oil change- total $5400. Nice!! I have a LR tech on the side willing to do for a small amount. Just need the to confirm the parts- he thinks I should do it, I am tempted to try the bt 44k fuel injector cleaner I ordered first. Since the original check a couple of weeks ago- no check engine light and vehicle has been running smooth. Meanwhile chrysler- my guy was here yesterday- changed the plugs and injector coil in the misfiring cylinder- still showed misfire- so telling me could be bigger problem- with engine- has me go and grab Seafoam- he runs that through the car and misfire gone and running smooth???? IDK starting to think they both got some bad gas at one of the local stations. Just do not want to cause any engine problem not fixing, I assume if issue the check engine light will come on again and then I can always do the injectors.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
update, on the 3rd day the LR dealer checked the truck, charged me the 1 hour fee- $200 and recommended, fuel injectors, spark plugs and the oil change- total $5400. Nice!! I have a LR tech on the side willing to do for a small amount. Just need the to confirm the parts- he thinks I should do it, I am tempted to try the bt 44k fuel injector cleaner I ordered first. Since the original check a couple of weeks ago- no check engine light and vehicle has been running smooth. Meanwhile chrysler- my guy was here yesterday- changed the plugs and injector coil in the misfiring cylinder- still showed misfire- so telling me could be bigger problem- with engine- has me go and grab Seafoam- he runs that through the car and misfire gone and running smooth???? IDK starting to think they both got some bad gas at one of the local stations. Just do not want to cause any engine problem not fixing, I assume if issue the check engine light will come on again and then I can always do the injectors.

seafoam is good stuff too. BG44 will only help. Hopefully clear sailing for you from here on out. Keep running BG44 through it annually (or semi annually) if you do a lot of miles.

BeViking

Reaction score
This may have been mentioned, but that sounds almost identical to when my 2011 had one of the fuel injector’s go. Almost IDENTICAL.

By the time they had the case open, I wanted to have them do all four on that side, and because that left side was now going to operate so efficiently, that my guy recommended me to do the right side then to - so I did all 8. Sucked, but did the trick.

The process of driving that super rich vehicle to my shop, when the first one went, flooded and cooked my bank-1 catalytic converter - so I’ve had an engine light on due to that cat-related-code ever since, and that’s getting done this next week...

I am almost SURE... that one of more of your injectors crapped out.

The plugs could have caused that same thing... so replacing them MAY do it - but in my case, I was @ 128k on the 2011 - so we did all 8 injectors and all 8 plugs!

Hope this helps. Keep us updated brotha.

I think I was about $4200 OTD (at a local chain of tire/service shop - so still ******.... But not $5400

AFTER I had found my local small time independent LR shop - said he could have done it for $2500 which was disappointing.

The small time shop definitely made some money on me, and should have gone independent.

But it’s water under the bridge now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Hi,
so waiting on the bg44k to show up- no local dealers had, will be here tomorrow, as stated truck feels fine but I do not want to damage it further- after all LR dealer did recommend the injectors/plugs when checking after check engine light was no longer on. The beautiful thing here is through a friend that knows a guy in a LR parts dept. he gave me a mechanic there that will do the job on the side- basically $100 an hour and says the bg44k could help but risky and should change the injectors. So now I see on europarts.com the bosch 62120 ( should be correct) on sale for $74.49 each. So injectors/plugs/oil change I can probably have completed for under $1500. Please confirm bosch model 62120 if any of you can, as well as what spark plugs I should get, and oil filter. 2012 LR4 HSE. Thanks for all your help!

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
so waiting on the bg44k to show up- no local dealers had, will be here tomorrow, as stated truck feels fine but I do not want to damage it further- after all LR dealer did recommend the injectors/plugs when checking after check engine light was no longer on. The beautiful thing here is through a friend that knows a guy in a LR parts dept. he gave me a mechanic there that will do the job on the side- basically $100 an hour and says the bg44k could help but risky and should change the injectors. So now I see on europarts.com the bosch 62120 ( should be correct) on sale for $74.49 each. So injectors/plugs/oil change I can probably have completed for under $1500. Please confirm bosch model 62120 if any of you can, as well as what spark plugs I should get, and oil filter. 2012 LR4 HSE. Thanks for all your help!

michael, good update. I would say to you that probably thousands of lr owners have done the BG44 and if I’m not mistaken that’s what LR runs through it at service intervals if they suggest an injector clean.

I would also argue, if you run the BG44 through and by some really strange chance something does foul, you’ve still got this mechanic on standby...

I’ve got no dog in the fight, just food for thought. I’ve run it several times over the years and it always runs smoother after.

L Crist

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey thread followers! Since the temps here in Los Angeles have been dropping a bit, the ***** misfires problem on my 2011 LR4 has sadly returned. It rears its ugly head on startup/ drive before engine warms up. Goes into "restricted performance" yadda yadda. No gas out the tail pipes. Gap Tool reads multiple misfires on bank 1 only. Clears itself when engine is warm. SO FRUSTRATING. I've always used high octane fuel. I have had the coils, plugs, injectors, coolant temp sensor AND low pressure fuel pump replaced. What am I missing here? It's only when it's cold. I have another appointment at the Pasadena dealership garage coming up soon but I'm utterly perplexed. I'm 99% sure they also checked the MAF a few months ago too.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do the LTFT and STFTs say when you experience the misfire? Looks like you have addressed fuel and spark. If may be time to think through air / oxygen. The MAF has a built in intake air temperature sensor. When if gets cold, the air should be more dense at start up before the engine heats up. If the IAT is not triggering the ECU to tell the injectors to dump a consummate amount of fuel, you would have a lean condition that may be what you are encountering. As the temperature of the engine rises, so too does the air entering the cylinder, thus creating the proper A/F mixture.

Or, there is a vacuum leak when the engine is cold. When the gasket heats up, it expands and seals the leak--i would look at intake to bank 1 cylinder head gasket.

I hope that helps

Hey thread followers! Since the temps here in Los Angeles have been dropping a bit, the ***** misfires problem on my 2011 LR4 has sadly returned. It rears its ugly head on startup/ drive before engine warms up. Goes into "restricted performance" yadda yadda. No gas out the tail pipes. Gap Tool reads multiple misfires on bank 1 only. Clears itself when engine is warm. SO FRUSTRATING. I've always used high octane fuel. I have had the coils, plugs, injectors, coolant temp sensor AND low pressure fuel pump replaced. What am I missing here? It's only when it's cold. I have another appointment at the Pasadena dealership garage coming up soon but I'm utterly perplexed. I'm 99% sure they also checked the MAF a few months ago too.

L Crist

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do the LTFT and STFTs say when you experience the misfire? Looks like you have addressed fuel and spark. If may be time to think through air / oxygen. The MAF has a built in intake air temperature sensor. When if gets cold, the air should be more dense at start up before the engine heats up. If the IAT is not triggering the ECU to tell the injectors to dump a consummate amount of fuel, you would have a lean condition that may be what you are encountering. As the temperature of the engine rises, so too does the air entering the cylinder, thus creating the proper A/F mixture.

Or, there is a vacuum leak when the engine is cold. When the gasket heats up, it expands and seals the leak--i would look at intake to bank 1 cylinder head gasket.

I hope that helps

It does help, yes, thank you. I should have also stated that my indie rover garage ran a compression test/ smoke test done a few months back and turned up ok. I will run this by the tech at LR when I take her in. I truly despise driving my "side car" electric fiat and hope to get this sorted sooner than later.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi