2011 LR4 Misfire/rough idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope you’ve found a lasting fix. If the injectors do the trick, still a mystery why all injectors on that bank were failing at the same time (since you were getting misfires on all cylinders on that bank, correct?).

LJLR

Reaction score
I read this entire thread with moments of excitement and others of pure dread. I have a 2010 Range Rover Sport with about 90k miles on it. It runs great. Drove from San Diego to Utah 6 times and a couple trips to Montana since Covid hit. Other than a crossover pipe leak about 20 miles into a return trip from Utah this winter it has been trouble free. We had a LR3 for 10 years and loved it. Also had a D1 and a couple of D2s.

I saw a deal on another 2010 Range Rover Sport HSE 5.0 direct injection engine, 131,000 miles. I don't have much history on it. It looks like it has new lower control arms, shocks look original, oil was clean and full, coolant was the correct color. Has the cold weather package with heated seats, steering wheel and windshield, nice upgraded black leather interior with side bolster adjustments, just what you need in a 6,000 lb. truck. Picked it up for a good price. It had taken a minor hit in the front. I swapped out the radiator and ac condenser and a new radiator core support and front bumper. Mechanically, it had an oil leak from the brake vacuum pump pipe connection and maybe a leak from the passenger side valve cover gasket. Still need to find one front bumper camera......., lens popped out.

Truck was running great. I had taken a few 4-5 mile test drives around the neighborhood, RRS was running perfectly.

I took it for a test drive on the freeway last week. Ran incredibly well for the first few miles, I was running about 70 mph and punched it and ran up to about 95 mph. Dropped back to 70 mph and a few seconds later I got a flashing CEL and a flashing reduced performance warning. It was running very rough. The flashing CEL and Reduced Performance lights went constant. Pulled over and checked for leaks, nothing. Turned it off, let it sit for a few minutes and restarted, reduced performance light was off but had a constant CEL. Got home, but it was definitely, not running well.

I pulled the codes and had a P0306 and P0316. First thought was a bad coil. I swapped the coils from 6 to 4 and 4 to 6. Started it up had codes for misfires on every cylinder plus a few other misfire codes.
  • P0301-00 (01) Cylinder 1 misfire detected
  • P0302-00 (01) Cylinder 2 misfire detected
  • P0303-00 (01) Cylinder 3 misfire detected
  • P0304-00 (01) Cylinder 4 misfire detected
  • P0305-00 (01) Cylinder 5 misfire detected
  • P0306-00 (AF) Cylinder 6 misfire detected
  • P0307-00 (01) Cylinder 7 misfire detected
  • P0308-00 (01) Cylinder 8 misfire detected
  • P0300-00 (01) Random misfire detected
  • P0313-00 (01) Misfire detected with low fuel
  • P0316-00 (AF) Misfire detected on start-up (first 1000 revolutions)
Shut it down and swapped the coils back. Checked for codes and had the original P0306 and P0316 come back. My gap tool wasn't showing the codes, I used my generic code reader and it showed the codes. Truck has a mildly rough idle.

I am pulling the fuel trim readings tonight.

Fuel injectors, plugs and coils would be the easy answer, but I really don't want to go down that road if that isn't the cause of the misfire. I am not sure how long I will keep this truck.

Looking for suggestions, thoughts or ideas. thanks Phil

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72