2012 headlamp lens replacements

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael Conley

Reaction score
Mine are pretty scuffed-up, tried various scratch removal kits but to no real avail. Def don't need new assemblies so I'm looking to replace just the lenses. Not much comes up in searches so I'm curious if anyone else has had luck.

Thanks

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No luck here either, but I will say this: I have about 5 of those kits on my workbench, and none of them work. After a little research, I have turned some really bad headlights into new with a variable speed polisher.

400 grit if they're really bad, then
800 grit, then
1600 grit, then
2000 grit, then
Buffing pad with Meguiars fine-cut cleaner

All wet sanded at medium speed, finish the Meguiars at high speed.. It will take about 20 minutes a headlight, and if done right, they will be in showroom condition. Lots of YouTube videos out there to show how to sand them..

Wrap with 3M UV film (very easy) and call it an afternoon. Total cost is about $60-80 including a cheap Harbor Freight polisher. You'll never worry about headlights again, and you can hook up your other cars and amaze friends..

Good Luck,

Mike

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe I've seen some on eBay. Can't vouch for them.

I do know that removing the plastic front requires you to stick the entire housings in an oven for a bit to loosen up the glue.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, if the "scratches" you are seeing is a sort of blobby v-shape right where the light hits the lenses, that's the lens melting a little from the light and on the inside of the lens. Probably won't be able to remove it.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had good luck restoring the pretty beat up lamps in my Miata.

Proactively, I bought film protection for the LR4 headlamps and fog lights years ago. They have worked well. I recommend them once you restore the lamps.

Michael Conley

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I have a rotary already so I'll get a packet of sanding discs and a buffing pad. Anyone have a link to a specific UV film from 3M or should I go with whatever I find that I think would work?

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score

BendRover123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I have had much luck with the 3M type scratch removal liquid. Using a drill with a polishing pad. There is a plastic lens clear coat spray you can apply after which seems to hold up ok (used on my friends BMW lenses), also I took my LR3 lights to a car tinting shop they buffed up mine and applied 3M type film which also holds up well, you have to be careful what cleaner you sie though because it can yellow tint when wiping down the car with the wrong cleaning solution.

Mine are pretty scuffed-up, tried various scratch removal kits but to no real avail. Def don't need new assemblies so I'm looking to replace just the lenses. Not much comes up in searches so I'm curious if anyone else has had luck.

Thanks

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV