2012 LR4 review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kingfish

Reaction score

ChicagoSammo

Reaction score
Nice article - I'm going to sound awfully pedantic, though, as the LR4 is deemed as 4WD rather than AWD as it has a high and low range transmission.

rostov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it really compared with ML and X5?
May be by price range, but that is it in my opinion. Other then that, those vehicles have nothing to do with LR4. It is a different animal – it drives differently, it feels differently, and it is not a hardwood floor SUV…

I think size wise it would be GL from Mercedes, and capability wise – Toyota(Lexus) GX, and Mercedes G class…

Kingfish

Reaction score
Nice article - I'm going to sound awfully pedantic, though, as the LR4 is deemed as 4WD rather than AWD as it has a high and low range transmission.

I assumed it's AWD because there's no way to disengage the front axle (short of dropping the driveshaft?) Isn't 4wd typically on-demand whereas awd has power going to four wheels at all times?

Kingfish

Reaction score
Is it really compared with ML and X5?
May be by price range, but that is it in my opinion. Other then that, those vehicles have nothing to do with LR4. It is a different animal – it drives differently, it feels differently, and it is not a hardwood floor SUV…

I think size wise it would be GL from Mercedes, and capability wise – Toyota(Lexus) GX, and Mercedes G class…

Exactly. The LR4 occupies the same price point as the ML, Q7 and X5 but it's offroad capability is superior to all three. (hardwood floor SUV - that's funny!) As far as offroad capability, I'd say it's equal to MB's G-wagen and Toyota's Landcruiser. The sad truth is these things rarely ever leave the pavement (here in CT, anyway) and are used to shuttle the brats to daycare and soccer practice.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly. The LR4 occupies the same price point as the ML, Q7 and X5 but it's offroad capability is superior to all three. (hardwood floor SUV - that's funny!) As far as offroad capability, I'd say it's equal to MB's G-wagen and Toyota's Landcruiser. The sad truth is these things rarely ever leave the pavement (here in CT, anyway) and are used to shuttle the brats to daycare and soccer practice.
Hey Kingfish,

I agree! I traded in a 2009 ML for my 2011 LR4 and they are completely different vehicles. The ML was a nice SUV, but the 3.5 V6 was just way too underpowered. As far as off-road capability, the LR4 is light years ahead. As far as pricepoint, the LR4 is similar to that of a nicely loaded ML 350, but engine-wise, it is really closer to the ML 550. Before getting my LR4, I test drove a Toyota Land Cruiser, but it was just so damn boring. I just can't seem to get into Toyota/Lexus - very loose ride and way too wishy washy. The off-road system in the Land Cruiser is also very weird to use. As for the G-wagon, I've always loved it and my family wants one, but the price point is just a bit over the edge for me.

You are correct about CT, as I used to live in Mystic until 5 years ago when I moved to the SF Bay area. I bought a 2001 Discovery from Land Rover of Milford, but have had BMW and Mercedes since I got my LR4 last year.

Kingfish

Reaction score
San Fran, huh? Do you get offroad at all where you're at? There's certainly no snow in your 'hood :) I really liked the LR4, my only criticisms are for its weight (5,600lb) and horrific mileage of 12/17. If LR can shave 500 or so pounds from the next one, and offer it with a diesel that would be the ultimate IMHO. You're right about the engine power though, 375hp motivates that tank quite nicely.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Kingfish,

I actually travel back to New England several times a year (I am from Boston), so I get my fill of snow. We actually have lots of snow about 2.5-3 hours away in the Sierras, Yosemite, and Lake Tahoe. I went off-roading for the first time two weeks ago and it was a blast! I can't wait to go again, but I am not quite ready for anything "*********". I'd love to see the diesel come to the states - that would be great!

-David

ChicagoSammo

Reaction score
I assumed it's AWD because there's no way to disengage the front axle (short of dropping the driveshaft?) Isn't 4wd typically on-demand whereas awd has power going to four wheels at all times?

No, 4WD may be full time 4WD or part time 4WD but they both offer high and low transmission.
AWD or Automatic AWD does not have the low range transmission.
All Land Rover vehicles are full time 4WD apart from the AWD LR2 and the Automatic AWD Range Rover Evoque.
And apologies again for my pedantry ;-)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635