2012 LR4 review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Subman574

Reaction score
Good review...

I test drove the X-5, ML-350, Q-5, Q-7 and Cayenne S before buying the '12 LR4. (Also loved the hardwood floor comment...). The X-5 and particularly the Cayenne S are tremendous road vehicles - but for what I'll use the vehicle for (a lot of fly fishing with many dirt/gravel/muddy roads) the LR4 just makes much more sense. Living in Maine I also feel like the LR will be just that much better in the snow (that is, if we ever get any). Bottom line, I needed a truck and not a highway/mall cruiser.

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2012 hse last week while my lr4 was in the shop for an oil change and must say the new nav UI is really nice compared to my 2010 lux. There were a few things that I didn't like about the hse package:

- The led accent lights without the hid low beams look goofy to me as the light color/brightness is off.
- the lux leather is waaaaaaaaaaay more comfortable than the standard leather. The hse leather felt stiff and made the seat way too firm. It felt like my wife's crv leather seats. When I got back in my lux, its like sitting on a cushy recliner.

That said, a 2012 lux package with that nav would be awesome.

30309guy

Reaction score
I can't believe I'm seeing people that are happy with the new user interface. It's the worst thing I've ever used and I seriously wonder what kind of yahoos LR has designing things. I'm on my 4th LR (2008 LR3, 2010 LR4, 2012 LR4, 2012, LR4). Yes, you read that correctly. I'm on my second 2012 as, in December, even the sales staff didn't realized that LR had changed the Lux and Vision Assist packages.

Anyway, both of my 2012s have exhibited the terribly sluggish user interface. I don't understand what happened with the "new" 2.0 architecture. My 2010 UI was instant, including the rear camera on reverse. The lag between selecting/reversing and any change on the screen is absolutely stupid for a 2012 vehicle.

I also don't understand their reasoning behind the new information in the center gauge section. It's bad enough that the screen goes to the home screen on every startup (that only shows station and station number) but what were they thinking in putting three lines of redundant information in the additional/new info area??????? Is it really a good use of space to list the Memory section/station name/station number instead of song information?

I sure hope they have some kind of update or fix soon. I'm wishing I hadn't sold my 2010 now.

30309guy

Reaction score
The only difference is the entertainment/nav system (total architecture change) and the headphones for the rear seat entertainment system are now wireless.

Everything else is cosmetic.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a little confused then, I thought when the new 380hp engine and transmission went in, the nav UI also changed? Was that not until the 2011 model?

So, 2010 has the new interior changed from my 2007 but the nav is somewhere in between? It's hard to believe they would have left the nav that I have - maybe there was an intermediate nav system?

Thanks!

30309guy

Reaction score
The 5.0L and 6 Spd. transmission went in for 2010. There were no technical changes between the '10 and '11 - only equipment changes between trims. The entertainment/nav system in the 2010 and 2011 is totally different than that of the 2012 model, although the hardware controls are the same. And yes, they are totally different than the LR3s system.

30309guy

Reaction score
My '10 LR4 was the best LR I've ever had, hands down. Everything I read says that LR "Ugraded" the entertainment/Navigation system in the '12. I guess if going back to 2002 functionality is upgraded...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM