2012 model year

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard some changes are coming for the 2012 model year:

- redesigned gear shift area - now will have pop up gear selector like in the RRS.
- 8 speed ZF transmission (from 6)
- more intuitive navigation / stereo software. May include traffic updates through mobile phone blue tooth pairing.
- new wheels
- increase in power for the stereo
- paddle shifters like the RRS

Anyone else hear about other changes?

Last edited:

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score

- redesigned gear shift area - now will have pop up gear selector like in the RRS.
- more intuitive navigation / stereo software. May include traffic updates through mobile phone blue tooth pairing.
- new wheels

Awww.... kinda makes me wish I had waited another year!

LR4Austin

Reaction score
I'm very happy with my LR4 purchase just two weeks ago but the new design sounds very nice.

gfcronus

Banned
Reaction score
I had planned to wait until the end of the year to get an LR4 anyway, so unless the price increase is significant I might as well aim for a 2012 model. On the other hand, maybe there'll be a sweet deal on a 2011 version.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

- new wheels

Very interesting! Have you heard anything about possible external changes? I'll be curious to see if this is true. Thanks for sharing.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I just don't see them shaking up the status quo that much with the LR4 for 2012. I would think those changes would be more inline with a revamp of the truck to Discover5/LR5.

Changing a tranny mid run is a big deal. I can see the electronic and cosmetic things getting updated, but I'm just a little skeptical about 8 speed.

Rob

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rob I agree with you, would think the D5 LR5 would have these changes. However, the D5 LR5 will be a basic model more like the Defender. From what I've read the next D5 LR5 will be less luxurious and head back towards its roots as a workhorse. I bet LR will make any improvements they can to keep up with competition to sell as many D4 LR4's on the current platform before 2016 when the new model comes out. Transmission change is a big one, along with the electronic changes. LR probably sees an opportunity for slight fuel economy improvement (7-10%) with an 8 speed. I haven't read about any exterior changes for 2012.

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rob I agree with you, would think the D5 LR5 would have these changes. However, the D5 LR5 will be a basic model more like the Defender. From what I've read the next D5 LR5 will be less luxurious and head back towards its roots as a workhorse. I bet LR will make any improvements they can to keep up with competition to sell as many D4 LR4's on the current platform before 2016 when the new model comes out. Transmission change is a big one, along with the electronic changes. LR probably sees an opportunity for slight fuel economy improvement (7-10%) with an 8 speed. I haven't read about any exterior changes for 2012.
These are great points. I also read that the D5/LR5 will be more like the Defender. I am wondering if the "less luxury" will turn off a lot of buyers who want the luxury aspect of a LR. I am betting the LR5 will have an updated body style similar to the Defender in some ways, but still hardy luxury. I almost envision something like the Mercedes G500/55 AMG as far as purpose/concept.

I think the 8 speed would definitely get a little more gas mileage, but hopefully will not deliver a worse drive. My previous 2 vehicles (Mercedes) were 7 speed and I did not like how it drove.

I will be excited to see how it all works out.

Thanks, David

psc

Reaction score
I think the 8 speed would definitely get a little more gas mileage, but hopefully will not deliver a worse drive.

The 8HP should deliver a 6% + improvement in economy over the current 6HP gen II transmission. LR currently use the 8HP on the Range Rover Diesel 4.4 V8 (ROW), so I am sure it should have a reasonable shift strategy (no one has complained in road tests).

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 8HP should deliver a 6% + improvement in economy over the current 6HP gen II transmission. LR currently use the 8HP on the Range Rover Diesel 4.4 V8 (ROW), so I am sure it should have a reasonable shift strategy (no one has complained in road tests).

Good to know. I was not aware they already had one in house used in the brand.

6%... so if I get 18mpg on the hwy, the new tranny would maybe get 19mpg. Not that I'm complaining about a 6% increase in economy, but it seems to me a modern truck should be getting around 20mpg. At Land Rovers claims for fuel economy of 13/17 for the LR4, even a 10% increase doesn't get us close to that. It would take about a 17.5% increase in economy to get the average V8 equipted LR4 to 20mpg.

I still love my LR4, I just struggle with some of the baggage that goes with it.

Rob

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99