2012 model year

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LRnewbie11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it would be a mistake to strip the luxury off of the next version. If they want a more rugged "Defender" type vehicle then why not introduce or re-introduce it. I would think a lot of LR buyers would be turned off to find that a newer version of the LR4/Discovery 4 was a step down in luxury.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, however what we're going to see is the Land Rover vehicles become purpose built with good offroad capability. Range Rover vehicles (Evoque, etc) will be more luxurious and less capable. The new RRS will have 7 seats and take the place of a lux LR4.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, however what we're going to see is the Land Rover vehicles become purpose built with good offroad capability. Range Rover vehicles (Evoque, etc) will be more luxurious and less capable. The new RRS will have 7 seats and take the place of a lux LR4.
jjvd,

I agree 100% Many people were turned back onto the LR4 because of it's luxury and updated appointments. I doubt LR would take a step back from that. I'm really curious to see how it all goes.

-David

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard some changes are coming for the 2012 model year:

- redesigned gear shift area - now will have pop up gear selector like in the RRS.

FWIW, there is no such pop-up selector on the Sport. Such a Jaguar-like gear selector has only been introduced in the 2011 V8 diesel Range Rover abroad, petrol engines still use the good 'ole fashioned shifter. At least for MY2012, it appears the Sport is still going to be equipped with the shifter of earlier model years (a "Quick Guide" for the 2012 RRS recently popped up on TOPIx), so I'd be surprised if the LR4 was equipped any differently.

However, there will likely be improvements made to infotainment + navigation systems and related touchscreen interface (including a possible hard drive storage system for music / CDs.) Not sure about the 8-speed ZF - the Quick Guide doesn't say obviously, and there is no official info out there yet on any 2012s from Land Rover, other than press releases for the upcoming Range Rover Evoque. The 8-speed tranny may also be something reserved for diesel versions, as mentioned above this transmission is already in use on the V8 diesel RR in ROW.

psc

Reaction score
The 2012 Discovery 4 "Driver Controls" pdf on topix shows both the pop up gear selector in addition to the traditionl selector. It also gives a main menu picture for the sat nav.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pop up gear selector - I should have referenced the Evoque rather than RRS.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This article talks about a new Sand Launch Control feature for 2012:
A new Sand Launch Control feature helps keep the wheels from spinning when starting from a dead stop or when increased control is required in low-speed driving.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the released the Sand Launch for 2010. Perhaps they are tweaking it again. Anyone have the link to the topix website with the pop up gear selector info?

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the released the Sand Launch for 2010. Perhaps they are tweaking it again. Anyone have the link to the topix website with the pop up gear selector info?
If that's the case then the article may be bogus. I wasn't aware of the Sand Launch feature, but I believe all of the other "new" features listed are already on 2011 and/or 2010.

psc

Reaction score
On topix they have the 2012 owners manual now available (Discovery 4) - The 8 speed transmission appears only to be available on the Diesel variants. Fuel consumption figures for the V8 remain the same as 2011 models (Fuel and refueling section). Pop up gear selector appears only with the 8 speed transmission (Gearbox section)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635