2013 Land Rover LR4: SEMA Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I never looked at the offset on my LR4 wheels, I have a left over set of '08 RR S/C wheels that have a 58mm offset, and my '13 RR now has 47mm offset. That's quite a difference...

I do believe H&R makes a set of 25mm DRA wheel spacers for the LR bolt pattern. While 25mm is pretty aggressive, it would help for clearence problems.
PALR4,

I want to see photos of your new 2013 RR! :)

I just sat in one at the LR dealership.

-David

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bromhead and umbertob,

Most of the time folks who go with the 18" wheels end up getting the swing-away tire carrier. ;-)

-David

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David,
I agree, that was sort of where i was going. Unless I was willing to pay up for the rear bumper with swing tire carrier, I was unsure if it was really worth making the investment of 18 in wheels vs your approach with the LTZ's. It looks like Umbertob has thought this out in a bit more detail than I did :)

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David,
I agree, that was sort of where i was going. Unless I was willing to pay up for the rear bumper with swing tire carrier, I was unsure if it was really worth making the investment of 18 in wheels vs your approach with the LTZ's. It looks like Umbertob has thought this out in a bit more detail than I did :)
Hey bromhead,

I am really enjoying reading these posts and umbertob definitely has some great points. I guess it all depends what you want to do with your truck. Spending the money on the 18" wheels is very important if you really want the tire options. With that said, most people, even those off roading quite a bit, are very happy wit hthe LTZs. I personally like the look of the 18" Compomotives, but at this point did not want to spend the money. That's why I powder coated my wheels and they look awesome. The LTZs give me the blend of street/off road performance that I wanted.

If I knew I was keeping my truck more long term, I would likely go with the 18" wheels and tire carrier - for sure, but for my needs things work out quite well.

-David

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David,
Do you ever encounter rocks on your off road excursions? I don't think there is much at Hollister IIRC. I like the LTZ's, and for traction, I think they would be great. My main fear is sidewall protection. The 19's are pretty darn thin. On my D1, I have fairly un aggressive 245/75/16 in BFG. I have never gotten a flat, unlike most of my friends I hit the desert with. Losing 1.7 inches of sidewall is a mental barrier I haven't crossed...that being said, I am sure I would be happy with them...the sad fact is that I have yet to have the time or opportuntiy to really take the LR4 to a location that would merit having something other than the stock conti's! I am becoming a poser....

About all I seem to do lately is take her up skiing. Just got back from the mountains yesterday, that thirsty engine I always complain about makes the LR4 such a joy to drive....Seemingly endless power.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David,
Do you ever encounter rocks on your off road excursions? I don't think there is much at Hollister IIRC. I like the LTZ's, and for traction, I think they would be great. My main fear is sidewall protection. The 19's are pretty darn thin. On my D1, I have fairly un aggressive 245/75/16 in BFG. I have never gotten a flat, unlike most of my friends I hit the desert with. Losing 1.7 inches of sidewall is a mental barrier I haven't crossed...that being said, I am sure I would be happy with them...the sad fact is that I have yet to have the time or opportuntiy to really take the LR4 to a location that would merit having something other than the stock conti's! I am becoming a poser....

About all I seem to do lately is take her up skiing. Just got back from the mountains yesterday, that thirsty engine I always complain about makes the LR4 such a joy to drive....Seemingly endless power.
Hey bromhead,

You are correct, Hollister Hills SVRA does not have the sharp rocks found in the desert or Sierras. There are some rocks, but nothing like that terrain. I know exactly what you are talking about as far as decreased side wall and would want to take my LTZs into some really sharp rock type of terrain. Although, I have to say, a friend of mine runs the LTZs and he is a major off roader and told me he has been all over death valley and other locations with sharp rocks and only experienced a punctured side wall once - and trust me, he is NOT easy on his Range Rover.

I guess for me it's more about expedition driving and taking it easy off road, as I don't have much of an interest in crazy terrain. If that's what you want, then I'd go with the 18" wheels and some beefy tires.

I agree, I love the power of the LR4. I had an LR2 loaner car today and man it just doesn't compare!!!

-David

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PALR4,

I want to see photos of your new 2013 RR! :)

I just sat in one at the LR dealership.

-David

Ha, I should have taken some photographs at the dealer. Picked it up in a snow storm, and it's been crap ever since. You can't even tell what color it is...:(

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha, I should have taken some photographs at the dealer. Picked it up in a snow storm, and it's been crap ever since. You can't even tell what color it is...:(
PALR4,

How do you like it??? I'm so curious to hear your impression. The car seems brilliant and absolutely well done, even though I am still NOT sold on the "soft" design. If I were in the market for a RR, then I'd likely go for the 2012 or a really old classic. :)

I can't wait to see photos!!!

-David

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PALR4,

Action shots of your new rover playing in the snow would be well received. Especially for those of us in California!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PALR4,

Action shots of your new rover playing in the snow would be well received. Especially for those of us in California!
I have yet to go to the snow here in CA! :) My LR4 has only seen light snow in Yosemite once :-(

Hehe.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo