2013 LR4 engine noise from back, not timing chain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with both above posts. $8k is crazy and him so willing to counter is highly suspect. A second opinion is in order here.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, all. I have it back. It still makes the noise on startup but goes away in a few mins. There are no other independent LR shops around. I could take it to my normal mechanic that I trust but hes not real familiar with this engine. Plus, how much more should I spend on this for a vehicle worth 13k?
I don't think the mechanic that wanted to make an offer had nefarious intent, I think he just sees it is in great shape except for mechanical issues and he's a mechanic!

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, all. I have it back. It still makes the noise on startup but goes away in a few mins. There are no other independent LR shops around. I could take it to my normal mechanic that I trust but hes not real familiar with this engine. Plus, how much more should I spend on this for a vehicle worth 13k?
I don't think the mechanic that wanted to make an offer had nefarious intent, I think he just sees it is in great shape except for mechanical issues and he's a mechanic!

Glad you got it back. Have you done an oil analysis (they are not expensive) to make sure internals are not coming apart? Also, you mention the noise is coming from the back of the engine. Could it be possible it’s your transmission making noise?

I agree with avslash, get someone to put a stethoscope on it and isolate the source. You may be looking at a couple hundred bucks vs. 8k for the repair.

good luck! Keep us posted

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts. It really doesn't sound like the transmission. It sounds like its the top of the engine, but not at the front where the chains are. They agreed it was the engine and not a noise they had heard before and these guys do a lot of Rovers.
They did look at the oil and said there was no metal in it, that was the first thing they checked, but did not send it out for a real analysis.

What's most odd to me, and I'm no internet rookie, is I can find not one other person have even a similar problem on the web. The only other thing up there that rotates with engine RPM is the cam shafts. It really does sound like something rotating on a bad bearing.

It's sitting in my garage now, pristine since I cleaned it up. I just don't want to sell it. We are lucky to have a third car but I can't just procrastinate forever.
There is another Rover guy who is well respected a little further from me. Should I get a third opinion?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA