2013 LR4 - P0087 Fuel Rail/System Pressure - too low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamsanta85

Reaction score
Hey all, got the P0087 check engine light and reduced performance warning last night on my 2013 LR4. I have a Gap IID tool and have been googling the issue.

Sounds like it is likely...

1. High pressure pumps - LR081595
2. High pressure sensor - DW939G774BA?
3. Low pressure pump - LR014997
4. Low pressure sensor - LR015356?

Based on the following screen shot from my Gap tool with engine running at 3000rpm holding throttle I see the following. This is telling me to start with the high pressure pumps or the high pressure sensor? The low pressure sensor values and PSI look right, but the high pressure numbers look low as does the sensor voltage.

Any other ideas?

IMG_4463.PNG

gabrielef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That error code was one of my high pressure fuel pumps. Diagnostics can’t tell which one so I replaced both of mine, and yes I also replaced the tappets.

The pumps are in the vicinity of the alternator. I loosened the rigid lines instead of removing them to be able to remove the pumps. They both have foam covers which need to be removed first to gain access to the fittings at each pump.

I also had the fuel rail pressure sensor **** out on my other LR4 and that’s easier to change, but I didn’t perform the work.

adamsanta85

Reaction score
Thank you. I just ordered the pumps, tappets, and high pressure sensor. I normally do mechanical work myself but have too much going on to get to it. Going to have my friends shop handle it.

Reaction score
Sorry, you just likely wasted your money. Had the same problem last fall 2021 on my 2013 HSE. Dealer said it must be one of the pumps. Looked at this forum and found a mechanic said he had never seen a HP pump fail. Also car was able to do 70 MPH on highway, just poor acceleration due to restricted performance mode. Bought BK44 Fuel System Cleaner (available from dealer) and all problems disappeared. Even the Hard Codes related to low pressure in the HP pumps cleared after a few miles driving. 9 months and about 10K miles later, still working great. Cost was $60 (instead of $3K for pump replacement at dealer). Met with service director to explain what had taken place and he explained Land Rover would not approve using BK products even though they are used by many other dealers.

adamsanta85

Reaction score
Thanks, I do use BG 44K in the truck every few thousand miles. The truck became completely undrivable from these codes, it barely started.

Anyway just for closure to future readers. I had my mechanic replace the two high-pressure pumps plus tappets which cost about $450 in parts and $800 in labor. The truck has been running well since, we just got back from a weekend road trip in it.

The clue to me was the low pressure actual vs desired were very close when the high pressure actual 77.8psi vs 1450 psi desired.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Met with service director to explain what had taken place and he explained Land Rover would not approve using BK products even though they are used by many other dealers.

My dealer regularly uses BG44k in vehicles. I think it's even the subject of a Land Rover service bulletin. I think it may be this one (although there could be others):

gabrielef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That TSB gives BK the blessing. In the end, my issues was a pump, because if it was clogged injectors, changing the pumps would not have resolved the problem.

btboatboy

Reaction score
Hi all, so I just picked up a 2011 LR4 with code P0087. The previous owner said he had both HP fuel pumps changed but I am not sure if I trust him. I changed out the HP fuel sensor on the rail but did nothing. I took two data samples, one at cold start and one a few minutes later. The first graph is the cold start, BLUE line is fuel rail pressure high range sensor, TURQUOISE line is fuel rail pressure sensor Voltage, GREEN line is the Fuel rail pressure - low range (low pressure sensor), PURPLE line is the fuel rail desired pressure. The car ran fine at the cold idle and then when it dropped down it still ran okay but then started to drop off, I also dont know why the desired drops to 0. The second graph is when I restarted the car after clearing the restricted performance. Same colored lines. This time the car started ran smooth then restricted performance came back on, but this time the fuel rail pressure spikes to 2500-2700psi and then slowly starts to drop off, this time the car started running very rough as the fuel pressure dropped. I have a low pressure sensor I could throw on but I dont see much wrong with the voltage for that sensor. My question is do I do the pumps next or do I check if they are in time? Or am I missing something that would point to the low pressure pump or a fuel quality issue? I have no idea what the previous owner used for fuel and the car has 178k miles on it.

Thanks in advance for any input! If you have any questions about doing a timing chain on an LR4 I just finished doing one on another LR4 and I might be able to answer anything about that.

Attachments

• IMG_3875.jpeg
    IMG_3875.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3876.jpeg
    IMG_3876.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 46

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online