2014 LR4 - Confirmation of no changes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've driven the new RR supercharged off-road with the knob and paddle shifters. Much to my surprise, I loved it. You never have to take your hands off the wheel by simply pulling or pushing to change gears. As some of you know, if you have two wheels off the ground or are in a sticky situation, its kind of nice leaving both hands on the wheel. The paddles allow you to hold the vehicle in one gear by holding it or you can quickly up/down shift.

Keep an open mind ... its nice. :wink:

Well, I didn't care for it in the Jaguar that I drove. I prefer to just knock the shifter over to sport mode when I'm driving through the mountains. The knob thing you had to press down and turn it. It's probably something I'd get used to, but grew up on stick shift cars and generally prefer to have them (even without the clutch).

horacioad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well boys and girls I have some gossip to share. Just picked up my wife's LR2 from the dealer, oil change and tire rotation. After shooting the sh## with the maintenance manager for 1/2 hour, he told me that the LR4 will come as a 6cyl with an 8cyl option late next year. I asked how soon the training starts for the mechanics on the new engine and he claims that they are "familiar" with the engine already. So who knows. Maybe they are hiring a bunch of guys from Kia. I don't know what to believe anymore to be honest.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well boys and girls I have some gossip to share. Just picked up my wife's LR2 from the dealer, oil change and tire rotation. After shooting the sh## with the maintenance manager for 1/2 hour, he told me that the LR4 will come as a 6cyl with an 8cyl option late next year. I asked how soon the training starts for the mechanics on the new engine and he claims that they are "familiar" with the engine already. So who knows. Maybe they are hiring a bunch of guys from Kia. I don't know what to believe anymore to be honest.

If they are servicing Jag too, then they already know it.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm at peace with my decision to get a 2013. Mostly because I need the car now. My BMW comes off lease in 4 weeks.

SHS14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our dealer said both engines would come with the 8-speed,which would be the only thing I would be curious about.

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would hate to see a porky LR4 with 6-cylinders unless it were a diesel...Really...

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our dealer said both engines would come with the 8-speed,which would be the only thing I would be curious about.

The 8-speed would be nice indeed. But here we are in late August and we have no official word yet. If we are lucky, the announcement will be made in Frankurt in 2-3 weeks.

From what my dealer told me, no chance of custom ordering an LR4 for several weeks because they are just trying to build simpler spec cars quickly to get them to dealer stock fast. So realistically, even if the V8 were offered from the get-go, you are probably looking at a January delivery, and likely much further out.

I a) didn't want to risk what seemed like the certain death of the V8, and b) needed the car.

My car won't be here for a month or so, so I could always be a ****, refuse delivery and order a 2014 with the V8 if I wanted to. And don't think it hasn't crossed my mind.

horacioad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I must say, we got a new LR2 loaner with the 4cyl engine and it was a nicer ride that my wife's 2011 with the 6 cyl. Lets wait and see how the 6 cyl LR4 feels. I am curious but there's something about my old fashioned closed minded 8 cyl mind that's very concerned about it.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That depends on how good the V6 was. It's all realtive. The current V8 is by all accounts an excellent V8.

People talk about how nice the new BMW 4-cyl is, but everyone I trust who has driven it says that while torquier then the NA-I6, it is nowhere near as smooth.

I am sure this will be the case with the LR4 V6. On it's own it will be a superb V6. I have no doubt. But better than the V8? I am certain that will not be the case. Especially because it is giving up power.

The M3 V8 is drool-worthy. But it is very low on torque relative to its power. It is also VERY thirsty. The new M3 will have a turbo I6, but it will have a big improvement on torque and mpg and still I am sure people will miss the V8.

The LR4 6 will be down on everything: cylinders, power, and torque. More speeds and somewhat better mpg's, but meh. V8's are becoming extinct. I'll enjoy one of the last good ones while I can.

still-one

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe this is the one umbertob is referring to. By the look of it, it appears to look and function similar to the one in my BMW. It did take a couple days to get accustomed to it...but I have no issue with it now.

That is what was in the Sport I drove. Similar to what is in my wife's X-5. It is not a problem to use, just takes a bit of getting used to.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM