2014 LR4 on Landrover.com

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C4SumLR4

Reaction score
My guess is as that was the International (UK) site, it's quoting Imperial miles per gallon, not US mpg... hence 24.6 Imp mpg for the SCV6 engine converts to about 20.5 US mpg, and 28.8 Imp mpg to 24 US mpg. Still a huge percentage increase over the V8 mpg specs. I just hope the tow rating remains >7,000 lbs with the V6!

spizzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only other explanation is ECO-mode (auto engine shut-off), and I still don't believe it buys you that much. And that is a nuisance and will invariably age related components in dog years. But it is true, V8's use a lot of gas idling. So if for reasons that escape me, you drive an LR4 in heavy stop & go traffic, maybe it is worthwhile.

I could be wrong but if the Eco program on LR is anything like the one on my BMW, it really does add to the mpg. If I run Eco on the BMW for a full tank and let it do its magic, I would get +3 to +4 mpg to the tank but damn did it intervene with the throttle and AC. And it would do weird stuff that just didn't make sense to me (like shutting the engine completely off when I jumped out to get the mail) so I had the Auto Start Stop feature deactivated.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove a rental 118s M-Sport in England a couple of times and that was weird (especially with a manual "on the wrong side"), but on a 4-cyl diesel it was easy enough to get it to re-start. I've not tried it on a 6-cyl or V8, but my guess is it would probably bother me more. I just don't like the idea of all those starts on component life.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove a Jag with this feature a few weeks back. The Jag could be controlled by the brake, in my un-scientific tests. You just slow-roll up to a light and not press ******* the brake (engine stays on). If I do a complete stop with pressure on the brake, the engine would shut off.

I'll say it was odd. Not a huge fan, but I imagine it helps with gas mileage. I also hate the knob shifter set-up. Overall, the interiors on the Jag (which seems similar to the LR) felt a bit cheesy and Lexus-like. Lot's of useless chrome.

The LR could be different, but I think I got a taste of the LR future and I didn't particularly like it.

zenphx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start-Stop; Can be Stopped

I understand further (from reading about the Range Rover V6) that the Start-Stop function can be turned off (presumably with the ECO button); but that it needs to be done each time the car is started.....so it's not a permanent setting.

But I'll take it.

I like the new LR4 !

zenphx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rotary Dial Shifter

Can anyone tell me if, for Discovery, the rotary dial shifter was there for MY2013. Or is it new for MY2014.
Also, are paddle shifters (on the steering wheel) included along with the rotary dial on the center console.

(I'm wondering if the US version will retain the 'stick' shifter....)

Thx

GermanRoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if, for Discovery, the rotary dial shifter was there for MY2013. Or is it new for MY2014.
Also, are paddle shifters (on the steering wheel) included along with the rotary dial on the center console.

(I'm wondering if the US version will retain the 'stick' shifter....)

Thx

What we think we know is this. It won't be called a Discovery in the US, still an LR4 (not sure where you are from). MY13 has the stick, based on what's been revealed by the car mags, the 2014 models will have the dial shifter and paddle shifters along with ASS (auto start stop), an 8-speed tranny and worst of all the SCV6.

zenphx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the western US. I'm not thrilled about the auto start stop technology.....but I'm seeing an ECO button in the MY2014 photos. So if that makes it to the US, I'll be able to disable it.
My impression is that the 8 speed trans is an advantage.
But what are your reservations about the SCV6?
Certainly, it's less power than the V8, but I'd think it would still perform fairly well.....even though the LR4 will not have any weight loss. The Range Rover with the new aluminum construction should benefit more from the SCV6, I'd think.

gamh2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The more I see the 2014 the more I like my 2012...

GermanRoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But what are your reservations about the SCV6?
Certainly, it's less power than the V8, but I'd think it would still perform fairly well.....even though the LR4 will not have any weight loss. The Range Rover with the new aluminum construction should benefit more from the SCV6, I'd think.

I shared your optimism until I test drove the RRS with the SCV6. It just didn't feel like enough to me after having owned a 2010 and expecting more. I'm now a proud owner of a 2013.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM