2015 LR4 - Battery died, now doors won't lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BMullensNH

Reaction score
Went camping this weekend, kids sat on the tailgate too long and the battery died. Jumped it, and everything came back to life, minus the ability to lock the doors. Manual locking from inside, outside or the key fob doesn't work. Only other thing that was changed was the temperature went form F to C and the clock lost time.

Any suggestions on now to fix this?

Thanks in advance. Really appreciate this group's help.
Bret

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would try disconnecting the battery ground, let it sit for 30 minutes. Check to see that the voltage is in the mid 12's or higher. Reconnect and see if she's back to normal.

May just need a new battery. I have a 2015 and I just put my 3rd one in with only 52000 miles on the vehicle.

Tell tale sign was my clock reset itself one morning to factory default time. Although the motor started, I drove straight to Costco and bought a new battery.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell tale sign was my clock reset itself one morning to factory default time. Although the motor started, I drove straight to Costco and bought a new battery.

Agree with this advice! After spending time on this forum I am on a hair trigger to suspect the battery first whenever odd stuff happens with the clock, radio, or basic cabin switches.

That said, my original factory battery (2013) lasted me until April 2019. I consider this incredible. I've got friends with 2013's who are on their 4th or 5th batteries.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on my 3rd battery at 123K miles. When the clock starts changing to military time or the date changes the to European day-month-year format overnight I know it's time for a new battery.

BMullensNH, if you hold down the middle dome light button until the interior lights flash, you turn off the interior lights. Learned this years ago when our kids were constantly in and out of the LR4 while parked on the beach. Hold that button down again to reactivate the interior lights.

BMullensNH

Reaction score
Had the battery and alternator checked out. Both are working well with no concerns. Local indi shop suggested getting the computer reset by the local LR dealer. Seems like a pricey option. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

BMullensNH

Reaction score
PaulLR3 - Thanks for the suggestion! Definitely one that I'll use. Using the tailgate to have a beer and listen to music is one of the best features of these vehicles!

MDJ2015

Reaction score
I've been camping 4x with my LR4 and 3x the battery got low and I had to jump it or use a POD (power on demand) device. This is driving me nuts... what options are out there to stop the power dying while camping?

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been camping 4x with my LR4 and 3x the battery got low and I had to jump it or use a POD (power on demand) device. This is driving me nuts... what options are out there to stop the power dying while camping?

Battery disconnect switch and a separate "power bank"....

The charging system on these rigs is my biggest disappointment after 8 years of ownership. They suck, to put it as mildly as I can.

This topic has come up several times over the years, and none of us has yet found a way to enable the truck to fully charge the battery(ies) and not throw a fault light at the same time.

Many of us work around it by running a solar charger while stationary for long periods of time. Personally, I run a Victron 15A charge controller being fed by a 180W (i think) foldable panel that I drape across the roof of the truck in whatever direction suits. This feeds in to the auxiliary battery on the drivers side.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PaulLR3 - Thanks for the suggestion! Definitely one that I'll use. Using the tailgate to have a beer and listen to music is one of the best features of these vehicles!

Is the music coming from the vehicle?

BMullensNH

Reaction score
No, the only draw on the battery was from the dome lights. The music was from a bluetooth battery on the picnic table.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV