2015 LR4 HSE Key FOB dilemma

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eatfatandgetslim2

Reaction score
Hey Guys
I'm new to this Forum and have certainly enjoyed all I have read and learned. I just bought a 2015 LR4 HSE 68K. Love the vehicle but it only came with one key fob. I ask the salesman if would reach out to the previous owner to see if he had it. Not having much luck. So not totally being familiar with the complexities involved in these things I got online and ordered one from keyfobs.com for about $100. My understanding from them is the FOBS are used and have been wiped clean all but the vin# which i understand LR dealers will not program used FOBS because the previous vin# is still on the device. They will only program new FOBS with nothing on them at a price of around $175 to $200. No Locksmith in my area programs these FOBS so my question is, is there a source for new or compatible FOBS other than LR. FOBS from and LR Dealer I have talked to run upwards of $500 then $200 to program and more to cut the key and it could take up to 2 months to get one. What the H. I'm fine with one FOB but if I lose it or what ever, I'm *******. The folks at keyfob.com have been great and said if I could not get it programmed I could send back for a full refund.

Open for suggestions
Thanks

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure about your area, but here in Cincinnati I have a mobile locksmith that specializes in Key Fobs and such. Cost of key plus $50 and you are out the door. I would look in the larger cities near you and plan a road trip.

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just successfully programed a new fob for my 2016 LR4 Landmark using the GAP IID tool. I tried purchasing a 'knock-off' fob off Amazon for $60 that was 'advertised' as programmable for my truck. It looked just like OEM, felt like OEM and seemed quality, but it would NOT program...tried several times. The tech at GAP said "it's the fob". I then purchased this OEM fob off ebay for $100: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-LA...T-SMART-KEY-PROXIMITY-REMOTE-FOB/143133481355. It programed first try perfectly...all functions working. It also included a un-cut blank for the back-up key where the knock-off version did not. I haven't attempted to have that key cut by a locksmith yet. When you consider what the dealers charge for an OEM fob plus their charges for programming it (which seems to vary), you are correct- the GAP tool darn near pays for itself, and you want one anyway..right?
OP- Welcome! Here is my post to an earlier thread that is on topic with your question, and that you might find helpful. If you have any interest in owning a GAP Diagnostic Tool (highly recommend) you can purchase the tool and a key FOB, then use the IID tool to program the FOB yourself for about the same or less than the prices being charged by the dealers. The link in my post to the FOB I purchased off of eBay is a dead end now, but here's one that appears to be exactly the same...now $114. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1637144951...300785&hash=item261e24f2ae:g:emcAAOSwlzhc8ZUJ. And like the one I purchased, it's NEW. I wouldn't bother with a used one that has supposedly been 'wiped clean'. Maybe check out that whole thread on the subject.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72