2015LR4: Best H8 (Group 49) AGM Battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Balto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what brands you recommend? I may be replacing the battery in my wife's LR4 this week and wanted to get some feedback on brands. I've always used Interstate, and had good luck, but it seems there is an Advanced/AutoZone/O'Reilly on every corner, is any one of these better then the other?

Im still planning to try a group 31 battery but haven’t tried to fit one in yet. Much better quality and bang for your buck IMO.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what brands you recommend? I may be replacing the battery in my wife's LR4 this week and wanted to get some feedback on brands. I've always used Interstate, and had good luck, but it seems there is an Advanced/AutoZone/O'Reilly on every corner, is any one of these better then the other?

I was just looking at H8 AGM batteries. My understanding is that Interstate, Autozone’s Duralast Platinum, and O’Reilly’s Superstart Platinum, are all Johnson Control (JCI) batteries. I think Die Hard as well. The batteries should be exactly the same for a give set of specs.

I’ve always used Costco Interstate batteries for convenience, but I’ve had them fail. So, not sure what battery is the best.

One word of warning if you go to Costco - make sure you specify AGM (if that’s what you want). I didn’t and they just handed me a non-AGM. Didn’t notice until I got home. When returning it, they said there is a national backorder on AGM batteries - not sure if that’s true, as other stores seem to have them in stock.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Handed? In Canada the batteries are in an aisle or better yet just order off of website. Not sure who makes "Energizer AGMs"

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At one point the Sears Diehard Platinums (I believe) were made-by and the same as Odyssey.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@KTM
Handed? In Canada the batteries are in an aisle or better yet just order off of website. Not sure who makes "Energizer AGMs"

Here in the US (or at least in California), we go to the tire center where the batteries are stored in racks. Give the employee your size or year/make/model, he/she goes and finds your battery and rings you up.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At one point the Sears Diehard Platinums (I believe) were made-by and the same as Odyssey.

Seems the Diehards are now made by Johnson Controls (actually Clarios - apparently JCI sold off the battery division to Clarios). Not sure if that was always the case. Odyssey batteries are apparently made by Enersys.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@KTM

Here in the US (or at least in California), we go to the tire center where the batteries are stored in racks. Give the employee your size or year/make/model, he/she goes and finds your battery and rings you up.

Did they return with a H7 or H8? Why I ask is the Costco Canada online system says H7 for LR4. I had to use Range Rover to get a H8.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
H7 is the size that comes in the truck originally, and is the correct fitment on the charts. The last owner installed an H8, so I was just going to replace with another H8.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My LR3 came with an H8 so I have always went that way. I like the extra reserve capacity

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, previous owner installed H8 in our LR4 as well, so that's what I am going back with. Incidentally, we have not received the Battery Charge message since Sunday. Car sat for the previous 7 days without being driven. Drove it 200 miles last night. After driving, checked battery after sitting 1.5hrs and it showed 12.28 volts.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99