2017 and older USA wifi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ptfjjj

Reaction score
I recently bought a lightly used 2017 D5. Now, I've discovered that it is only capable of receiving 3g data and that all providers in the U.S.A. are discontinuing all 3g networks. Went to my dealer seeking an upgrade only to discover that Land Rover has no approved replacement component or module that is compatible with the 2017 system that provides 4g LTE reception. I find it hard to believe that components or modules in the 2018 and newer models can't be used in my 2017 model? Anybody have any ideas or experience with this? Please advise.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately there isn't a replacement.
But this isn't unique to Land Rover. Other brands do not have a solution either.
Others are charging $2k+ for the upfit.

DonC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a bit of an issue especially when i updated my onboard maps database and would like to use the live traffic. I did an experiment on mine to test once the 3g data link went down. I already have a hot spot on my cell phone plan so I set a routine on my Note 20 that enabled the hotspot as soon as it connected to the Discos bluetooth. The wifi on the car was programmed to use this hotspot as it would any other Wfi network. Now once I am in the vehicle I have connection with the hotspot and that in turn gives me the data needed for the traffic info. I did loose the remote start ability but that does not bother me as I never used it.

ar077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure I'll be a lone voice but I regard this (the inability to update my D5 from 3g to 5g) as a benefit. As part of our government's objective of achieving universal continuous surveillance of the population, our dystopian future includes government plans to require mandatory back door "K*LL" switches in vehicles manufactured after 2026 (buried in Biden's "Infrastructure Bill" if that ever passes). I would never purchase such a vehicle and I long ago disabled the On-Star function on my GMC truck. I don't wish to be continuously surveilled while driving, nor would I ever consider having a GPS tracker plugged into my OBD2 port to save a few coins on car insurance. My personal liberty and privacy are worth the risk of not being able to quickly locate me or my vehicle in the event of theft or an accident.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV